Is Ozzy Deaf

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerzeyQT98

Reaction score
Me and my bf have come to the conlusion that our cute little baby, Ozzy might be deaf.

He was chewing the carpet the other day and we were clapping our hands and yelling "no" very loud and had gotten no response. My bf jokingly said, "I think he's deaf" but we decided to test it out. My bf took two ladles from the kitchen and clanged them together near Ozzy. No response. However, our other bunny, Kayleigh started freaking out and ran away from the noise. Ozzy was more curious about the objects that my bf was banging together rather than the sound it had made. We realized that we don't think we've ever seen him react to a noise or sound before.

Could he be deaf?

Not sure if anyone has any experience with a deaf rabbit, but maybe this is why he's soo scared of us. Like i mentioned in previous posts, he'll come up to us and crawl all over us but as soon as we go to pet him he freaks out and run away. Him and Kayleigh are getting along great though and he follows her around everywhere.... he totally is in love. They are most always laying down together... and THAT is the only time he lets us near him long enough to pet him.

Also, I had emailed the breeder where we got Ozzy and she said he probably is deaf from what we explained. If anyone has any stories, info that would be very helpful as we're not sure how to approach the little guy in order to work with him to be happy not only just with Kayleigh but also with us in our home :)

My first bun was deaf, but I didn't realize it for a long time. I did the same thing...when he was doing something naughty like chewing carpet I'd clap and say now and got no response. Since he was my first bun I really didn't have anything to compare it to and thought maybe bunnies just didn't respond to commands like that. Also, he seemed to bestartled easily.

Well, one day I was sitting on the floor testing a new smoke detector and he hopped right up to check it out....and it was loud. Like you said, he was interested in the object but didn't seem to notice the noise. The final thiing that made me sure he was deaf was that he was laying on top of my phone when it started ringing...again pretty loud...and he didn't even flinch or move.

My vet never actually "diagnosed" him as being deaf, but he had to be. I don't really have any advice, but after that I always tried to be sure he'd see me before I walked up on him. I'd also pound my foot on the floor if I was coming near where he was sitting or sleeping. He could feel the vibration on the floor, I guess, and would turn to check it out. He later bonded with a little girl and they also had a really strong bond. Maybe it's comforting to them to have someone "take the lead" and maybe they feel a little more secure in the world with a partner?

I don't have any deaf bunnies (nor have I ever) but I suggest getting a definate answer on his deafness from your vet.

Then you can figure out the next step. Maybe he's just a very chill little guy that isn't easily bothered :p

I think you guys are on to something here. If your bf banged laddles together by his head and nothing? He very well may be deaf, that would scare the heck out of most buns. Just my :twocents.

I thought Dahlia was deaf because in those first days that she was home, she would snuggle and sleep and no matter what happened, she never reacted. Lol. I snapped by finger by her ear and that's when got a reaction. :)

I have often wondered if Starsky is deaf as he too will look like he doesn't hear me say no or making a noise when I want him to stop something naughty. But I have come to the conclusion that Starsky has selective hearing. If he is busy doing something he enjoys or is just concentrating on something then he won't hear a thing no matter how loud it is. But if he is lying down or asleep he will hear a pin drop.

I know it sounds cruel but next time your bun is asleep make a noise - not too loud but loud enough for a bunny to notice. If he reacts and wakes up then he heard you but if not it is likely that he is deaf. Or, I guess he could only be deaf on one side? If I were you I would take a trip to the vets to check it out.

I'm pretty sure Baxter is deaf, and if not then he's very hard of hearing...

He won't react to any noises at all, awake or asleep.

All of my other buns know that when I make kissy noises, they get a treat. Baxter I have to visually show him the treat, if he can't see it he won't get excited.

He is not scared by the vacuum or any other load noises.

When Baxter DBF's, he really is playing dead. No noises will wake him up, the only thing that gets him is touch. Even then, I can pet him when he's in a really deep sleep and he won't move.

Baxter is a lop with no ear control. I've always wondered if it was related to that.

I also suspect that Baxter is so noisy because he can't hear him self. Like how my grandma talks really loud when she takes her hearing aides out... He just can't hear himself squeaking and wheezing.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back