Is Mulberry stalk poison to rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fluffies

Reaction score
Description (Breed, color, weight) : Lionhead mixed-breed, grey, 1.4kg.
Sex : Male, neutered.

I let Achilles roamed in our balcony last night (24 hours ago, GMT + 8.00). I forgot that we have a dead plant in our balcony. When i checked on him, he was chewing on dead Mulberry stalk that i planted in a pot.

PC100092.jpg

He ate well after a few hours, munched on hay, pellets and cilantro. That was before i off to bed last night.

I only noticed something is wrong with him when i fed them with cilantro and papaya just now. Normally he will looks excited to see be bring the treats/salad, but not tonight. He is not active. Sitting at the corner of his cage, and doesn't touch any food/treats i offered him.

He is breathing normally. His stomach feels normal. No distended/hard tummy. I'm not sure when he stop eating/pooping because he is sharing his cage with another female.

What should I do know? I'm currently out of Benebac as my Benebac is with a friend and I can only get it tomorrow. Should i feed him with Critical Care now?

-nerq-

Chewing that wouldn't hurt unless there was pesticide or fertilizer on it. Was it ever sprayed for bugs?

Or maybe he wasn't used to chewing that sort of thing. But mulberry plants are usually good for them (mind you that means leaves and young stems).

I would definitely not feed him, he'll be fine for 12 hours, I'd worry about food approaching the 24 hour mark, but not before then.

I think the best thing is a tummy massage (just use a couple of fingers and gently massage in a circle working your way down, this will help with gas.

Also non-stressful, gentle exercise. And keep him warm.

Gas medicine with simethicone would be good, too, but the dosage is pretty high for rabbits.

Hopefully its a simple gas attack and he'll snap out of it soon.

sas :clover:

OMG! Yeah i just remember that the plant was died due to too much fertilizer!! :shock:

We don't have simethicone in Malaysia. I read from UK rabbit forum that Dentinox Infant Drops and Woodwards Gripe Water might helps in stomach discomfort/gas.

If he is poisoned, what should i do? We dont have any rabbit savvy here!

:pray:

I just found 2 poops in his litterbox. The shape and size is normal. Except he is cold to touch compares to other bunnies i have here..

Just make sure he keeps eating and drinking. If he stops either, or stops pooping, syringe feed him some water. Hay and water will push any poisons out of his system. I would not give the gripe water as it usually contains an antacid, which is not good for a bunny's GI system. The Infant Drops are probably just simethicone, and those are safe to give. I usually give 70-80mg at a time.

Good news!

Achilles has start eating in the midnite!!!

Before that, i put him on heating pad because he is cold. Once the ears feel warm to touch, i syringe feed him warm water and Critical Care diluted with warm water too. After a few hours, he started to use his litter tray, grooming his cagemate Lolly and munched on orchard grass!

Woohoooo!:hugsquish:

Latest posts

Back