Is he throwing up?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender32

Reaction score
I came down today to see my rabbit, and i see a little bit of mushy pellets in his bowl. no more than a tablespoon. It doesn't look like moist pellets, because it is mushy, chewed up even.

The odd thing is i switched to a new food this morning. It had the Kaytee logo on it, looked like the exact same mixture. So, i figured i'd give him a little.

Is this something to be concerned about?

well, he cant be throwing up, because rabbits cant throw up. Is it possible that some water got in there and thats why the pellets are mushy? That happens a lot at my house.

Oh, thats a relief. Isn't it weird this happened the day i switched him to a new food?

Thanks Haley. :bunnydance:

Could be mushy pellets as someone already mentioned. May also be cecal pellets that the bunn mouthed and spit into the dish. Occasionally people mistake this behavior for vomiting.

Pam

Is it possible that the bunny peed in his food dish? I've seen babies do that sometimes if the food dish is on the floor. They will get in the dish to eat, but end up peeing at the same time.

Pellets expand quite a bit when peed on, and it will look like wet/chewed food.

If it happens again, smell it! If it smells like pee, the mystery will be solved.

--Dawn

I'm in agreement with the fact that it doesn't take much moisture to turn pellets to mush. The Kaytee Timothy Complete seems to break down easier than the Purina (I use both).

Sometimes my buns will push their food bowls around and get them under the water bottle. It only takes a few drops. Before I know it, I've got somebunnie mushing their face through the cage trying to get my attention so they can tell me to tidy things up and refill their bowl.

The other morning I decided to give some romaine to them and (without thinking...duh!) I just put it in their food bowls like I normally do.However, I usually give them greens at night when they have already finished all of their pellets. What a mess I made. Boy did I get some dirty looks and plenty of butt.

`jim:bow

Oops, missed this yesterday...

I just want to add that if you're switching food, even brands, really best to do it very slowly by mixing a bit of the new into the old and teadily increase the amount over five days or so.

Sudden diet changes can pretty easily cause an upset.

sas :)

Latest posts

Back