Is Harper sick??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
Okay, I have a room full of rescues. Right now, I have a guinea pig with pneumonia, but I moved him to a seperate room a few days ago. I have one rat with pneumonia who is in a seperate room, and another rat with pneumonia who is in this room. All these pneumonia's were upper respiratory infections in the beginning. It started with one rat and spread. I'm doing my best to keep it under control.

Anyways, Harper is in his cage, which is on the floor. He is sneezing really bad, has a runny nose, and looks like he has the hiccups. He keeps doing this slight jerking motion when he is sitting there. The vet is closed today, but will be open tomorrow. Should I be really alarmed? Of course, I am sitting here being the complete basket case that I am when it comes to him being sick...

Is the nasal discharge clear or does it look more pus-like? Either way, he probably should see a vet tommorow. It sounds like he might be coming down with something. Until you can get him to the vet it would be a good idea to either move him away from the other sick animals or move the sick animals away from him.

I'll be saying prayers for Harper (and your other sick critters)
:pray::pray::pray:

Well, the one sickrat that is in this room right now, is on the other side of the room. I always heard URI's were harder to pass to different species (like from rat to rabbit, or hamster to rabbit, ect.). Anyone know if that is true?

Oh, Harper is definitely going to the vet tomorrow, no questions asked.

I just noticed that one eye is more swollen and red than the other. If I am holding him, and he is facing me, it is his right eye. And the weird thing is, the ear on that same side is very cold, while the other ear is nice and warm.

Oh gosh, I am a nervous wreck right now!! That boy is my absolute baby, so I'm sure you understand my panicking. :shock:

EDIT: forgot to say that the nasal discharge APPEARS clear. He sneezed on me and it came out clear from what I can tell. Plus his nose is a little drippy, and it looks clear as well. He keeps wiping it off before I can get a good look.

I completely understand your worry. I wish I could offer more advice, but unfortunatley I cannot. I'll be hoping for a speedy recovery.

He's doing better today, the vet wasn't there today, UGH! His cage had a bunch of hay dust in it, cause bad mommy hadn't cleaned in a few days. I'm wondering if maybe he wasn't having an allergy?

I took his cage apart, cleaned it with vinegar and then cloroxed it. Afterwards, I moved him to the master bedroom in the back, and out of this bedroom with all the rest of these animals. So far he doesn't have the drippy nose anymore, his eye swelling went down, and he isn't sneezing nearly as bad. Maybe it was an allergy? I am watching him closely today, and if he continues to get better, I'll wait on the vet. Otherwise, he's going to the doctor tomorrow. :?

Latest posts

Back