iodized salt lick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not personally use them, however I don't think it hurts either.
When feeding an appropriate diet I believe they get what is required.

I don't use them, but I did when I was less knowledgable. In my eyes, if the bun is on a good diet then it doesn't need them, and I have also heard stories of buns over licking and dehydrating themselves with them.

Iodine is essential in proper thyroid function, so a small amount every three or four months should do it. However if your feed has iodine in it that should be sufficient.

*A small amount of iodised salt* that should have read.

james waller wrote:
i was curious-how many people use/believe in salt licks for rabbits??.and why.??-thank you,..sincerely james waller
health study--,sodium chloride/iodized salt blocks/licks,,are sold at farming supply-feed grainery stores,/.for all animals...i am currently doing a survey of you people who have rabbits/animals-and a study/link of high blood pressure,sludge,calcium deposits./.,i offer salt licks thou the pellet offered is purina rabbit chow,,,i am somewhat suprised at the varied opinions--i would like to know the health risks of salt licks,,please leaveyour- non invasive comments,thank you,-sincerely -james waller:nerves1:p

thank you for your input-saudade,,i am always open to better ideas,for healthier buns,..i am on several websites,,you would not believe the can of worms i opened up by answering yes to salt licks--wow,,my ears are still burning,..as you stated their are health reasons//thyroid...iodone/iodide,,,personally-myself suffer from high blood pressure and have been taking meds for over 15 years,one med is potassium chloride,/-i was-not- aware of a salt lick-for rabbits-causing such an uproar,,feel free to add more comments--i will make public my findings,//,i have requested scientific proof..,sincerely james waller:p

I don't know much about salt licks but I have never used them with my buns. I am always interested when people look into things like calcium sludge and stones so I wanted to add my experience in not ever using them lol. I have a bun with chronic calcium issues, sludge and stones.

Amy27 wrote:
I don't know much about salt licks but I have never used them with my buns. I am always interested when people look into things like calcium sludge and stones so I wanted to add my experience in not ever using them lol. I have a bun with chronic calcium issues, sludge and stones.
would seem sunlight holds the key to life/-.i have been feeding off your thread here,,i have requested more info from randy-(ra7751)-as he has increased my knowledge of mere sunlight/rabbit illnesses,..some people say an hour a day, some say uv tubes/lighting...there is a thread under diet/nutrition-/salt licks/sunlight//-where as randy explains the necessity of sunlight,,calcium absorbsion,retention,,,i only glad to try and help,because we are all in this together,,sincerely james waller:D

Thanks James. I posted a reply to the sunlight thread. I love all the great information about calcium in the threads here. I am soaking it all in and figuring out what changes I can make.

I am curious, what made you look into salk licks and health risk. Are you seeing any connection between the two?

And along the lines of minerals....and this is something I have mentioned often in other threads....but do not discount the mineral content in water. And this is especially true with "city" water. Many municipalitiesuse Chlorine, Ammonia and other chemicals in water in addition to the naturally occurring minerals. I consider high mineral water much more of a threat to our rabbits than calcium. Rabbits do metabolize calcium differently than most other animals and more than half of the calcium intake is excreted in the urine....most other animals are around 2%. But rabbits also have teeth and bones and those body parts require calcium to be healthy. And lack of calcium in the diet is a leading cause of fractures and metabolic issues.

There are commercially available broad spectrum "solar simulators" that will provide the natural light needed to form Vitamin D. These are not sun lamps in the way they will tan someone or provide heat. Many now come in compact florescent type bulbs. Reptile and reef aquarium keepers know all about them.

Vitamin D is also added as a fortification in higher quality pellets. I have often mentioned using pellets only to maintain weight and body conditioning....the Vitamin D in the pellets are the body conditioning part.

Interesting stuff isn't it? We are learning so much about these animals now....and not just by casual observation but by clinical means. Very exciting and will allow us to have healthier animals.

Randy

Back