Inner ear infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12animaluv34

Reaction score
Hello i am new to this group.

I have 7 rabbits 5 are rescued and 2 are lionheads that i paid 50.00 for one and 100 for the other!! I have

Snowflake 5 years old rescued,

Nola3 years old lionhead,

Bambi 10 months old,

Logan 2 years old,

Penny 2 years old rescued,

Midnight 3 years old rescued,

Suzie 2 years old,

But can anyone tell me if you have ever had a rabbit with an iner ear infection??

My 5 year old rabbit Snowflake has been an meds for a little over 2 months now and is not getting better. Should i have her put to sleep?? She has lost some weight. But she still eats the same.What should i do i have an app at 6:00 to have the vet look at her and see what she says about her. This is another vet than the one she has been going too.So i can see what she says.What should i do??

Rachel

Hi Rachel! Welcome to the Forum! Sorry your bun is having trouble with her ear! What kind of medicine is she on? Did the vet do any tests to see what bacteria she is infected with? Did the vet offer you any different medicine? Don't be in a hurry to put her to sleep! Please get another opinion first.

Welcome 12animaluv34 to the forum!

Is the ear infection causing Snowflake pain or distress? Is it a symptom of head tilt? Are you seeing another vet to get a second opinion? 2 months is long enough to show that the medicine in not working for your rabbit. You should try another type to see if it works. Let us know what you do.

Hi Rachel! Welcome to the RO Family! :)

I would definitely get a second opinion for your Snowflake. If it's been that long, and the meds haven't been working, then either something else is going on (and maybe the ear infection is a symptom and not the main problem), or she needs a different type of antibiotic.

I hope you find out what's going on soon...that must be so tough for you guys, and Snowflake...

Hugs to you!! And if you don't mind...I was thinking of moving this to the Infirmary...or you could just post something there. You let me know what you'd like to do, ok?

Hugs!

Rosie*

Hi there and welcome!

What kind of meds is your bunny on? Did they ever do a culture and sensitivity test? There should be no reason to put a bunny down bc of an inner ear infection, especially if she is eating and acting normally.

Also, would you mind posting your general location in your profile (go to "My Account" then Profile)? It helps if we know generally where you are located (even a state/country will help). We might also be able to recommend a better vet in your area. Many dog/cat vets arent knowledgable about rabbits.

I moved this over to the infirmary. Maybe someone here has dealt with the same thing. Can you give us more info about what meds the bunny is on and what tests the vet did?

Is the bunny's head tilted at all?

Hello,

I have a 5 year old rabbit that has an inner ear infection she has been to the vet a couple times and has been on meds for a little over 2 months. She is on her 3rd round of Ciprofloxacin 500mg. She has been getting 1.0ml. twice a day. And on ear drops twice a day. She is still eating and drinking but cant walk to much with out rolling 4-5 times. I have 2 very soft thick blankets in her cage so she wont hurt herself.

Is their ant other meds she should be on?? I have spent 200.00 so far at the vets. And i dont care how much it takes to help her get better. She can only hold her head up when shes eating. Please tell me whet else to do for her.

Rachel

Edited: I merged this with the other "Ear Infection" thread, so all the information is in one place... BlueGiants

She has been on Ciprofloxacin 1.0ml twice a day this is her 3rd time.And some kind of ear drops.The vet cleaned her ear last night and tested it for "bugs" and she saw nothing at all.

Her head is VERY tilted. its more to the side now so when she tries to walk she rolls.

Rachel

Rachel, has your vet talked to you about EC? Inner ear infections can definitely cause head tilt but so can EC (or it could be a combination of the two). I just sent you a private message because I think you may live close to me and I know of some really great rabbit vets.

Also, if you have a sec you should check out our library on E. Cuniculiand Head Tilt

Is he eating normally and pooping normally and everything?

Ok i will check that out.

Yes She is eating fine and popping fine too. One time last week she had a little runny poop. But that was just VERY little but its fine now. And her name is Snowflake. The ear drops she is on is called Baytril Otic.

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I have seen many cases of torticollis (wry neck, head tilt) come into our rescue. It is a difficult situation to treat. With the exception of two cases, each and every case has been directly linked to an infection in the middle and/or inner ear. The other two cases were obvious head trauma.

Here are some of my findings (I am not a vet...but I treat very sick rabbits).

>Most cases of tilt are caused by either an infection of bacteria or yeast....and we have seen both. I have never seen a confirmed viral infection but would never rule it out. The proper way to treat is by performing a "Culture and Sensitivity" on the debris in the ear to find out exactly what pathogen in being dealt with.

>E Cuniculi does not cause head tilt directly. This protozoan infection is another very misunderstood affliction and most vets have never even heard of it much less seen a case or treated one. EC is basically a "worm" that invades the brain. The most common presentation of this affliction is a "lazy" leg usually the left rear. It will also show up as appearing to be a urinary tract infection and the rabbit may be wet from urine and the urine be very concentrated and smelly. This is from EC spores damaging the kidneys. EC stresses the immune system to a point that the immune system will ignore anything other than the EC which it considers primary. With a EC bunny (and we have had our share) there are "roving" bacterial infections all over the body. We have a rabbit named Sparky that was misdiagnosed with EC. He had a major ear infection. He rolls a lot. He will never correct due to the vestibular damage. While fully tilted, we have made proper husbandry modifications for him to have a happy and comfortable life. There have been no really successful treatments available for EC. The current protocol involves using one of the "bendazoles" (dewormers for horses) but I have not seen it to be effective. I do have a new protocol I want to use with a different drug that looks good on paper.

We have another, Snow White, in which her ear infection was properly identified but the Baytril did not work (no culture unfortunately). The vet ramped up the treatment too late as the infection has entered her brain. She is now blind in her left eye and visually impaired in her right....and deaf. While she will never fully recover, she is happy and getting healthier every day.

>I have found that most bacteria that is now causing vestibular infections (and upper respiratory infections too) are becoming resistant to Baytril.....Cipro is basically Baytril for humans. Remember that I am not a vet, but I rarely use the "Floxacins" for primary duty. There are several other antibioitics that would most likely be more appropriate (based on that culture).

>Some rabbits respond well to Meclizine (the active ingredient in human motion sickness meds) to help the vertigo. It might help the roll. Look at her eyes....are they "clicking"? That is nystagmus....she is searching for a focal point. That is difficult for a rabbit since they can focus on one fixed point in front of them like we do with ear infections. Not all rabbits will be helped by this drug.

Read this over and feel free to PM me or post on the forum if you have any questions or comments. I can provide more info in greater detail should you desire to have it. I would also be willing to talk with your vet about some of the "outside the box" treatments I have used (all my treatments I have developedwere presented to and approved by my primary vet...and she is a professor of small animal medicine at a major vet school).

Randy

Latest posts

Back