injured bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticbuns

Reaction score
i'm unsure of her breed as i just picked her up yesterday from a woman whom didnt want them anymore ( she came with another female) the woman had them together and they had a huge spat, to where the younger/smaller female ended up with a gash on her side..in approximate it looks to be about 2.5 inches long by 3 inches wide. its started to heal so its scabby in area's , she's seperated and in qt for 2 weeks but what can i do ( or use) to help treat this, please keep in mind we are organic and bio secure...any thoughts to like bacitracin, bag balm??? thanks ahead..if i can get a pic, i will do so...thanks.

Keep it clean, trim around it so no hair gets in it. You can use a thin layer of neosporin, bag balm is ok too.

How long ago did this happen? I would worry about internal infection as well, I went thru something very similar w/ Corky.

Here's a link to what I went thru (sorry, link was acting dumb when I posted it, try going here and then choosing corky's story): http://corkyscave.net/contents.htm

I would suggest getting the bunseen by a good rabbit vet, I didn't think Corky's was any where near the ordeal it turned out to be.

i am not sure when it happened..but all in all it looks good..she's eating/drinking normal ( i'm not sure how much hay she was given before but she was bedding with sawdust i dont like to use it myself i use hay, with so many its easier, and i know that there is no toxins in the hay as it comes from our own feilds. how often should i apply either the neo or bag balm? and she i'm sure will lick it..that wont pose a problem?

* edit:

i also have something called triple antibiotic, its over the counter, and generic possible use?

Triple antibiotic cream s/b like neosporin, yes that would work. Yes, they can ingest it, that's why such a thin layer, so if she does it's not much. The bag balm stinks so much I've found they are less apt to want to eat it..lol. Keep it moist is what I did w/ him so it was applied a few times a day..I think keeping it moist helps to keep it from itching as much as well so they bother it less in that regard.

Corky ended up in one of those collars, I don't remember the name, but they look like a lampshade...that was to keep him from pulling at his stitches, if she's messing w/ it too much you may think about that. I used a cat collar to keep it on him...well til he figured out how to get out of that too. I know here you can find those now at Petsmart/Petco...

I'm glad she's eating well and such, that's a good sign!

all went well for Corky???, she doesnt seem to be picking at it kinda just going on her marry way...so i think thats good..it looks good really. some red spots but for most part scabby, i think she's happy to be in a bigger cage by herself, she ate the apple and parely i gave her..i also have pumpkin seeds ( i did some research on them and i guess they have antibiotic in them???) thanks again for the help...

Yes, 2 surgeries, 100+ stitches and over 2 months of meds...yep, he made it thru. :) For some reason he literally filled w/ infection in that situation.

Never heard that w/ pumpkin seeds....parsley is good, can be an appetite stimulant...apples, have alot of sugar, so keep those as more of a treat.

wow...thats alot for a bun to endure, glad all went well. the pumpkin seeds was good reading. i have a doe who loves pumpkin but not many of the others will eat it. i feed apples as a treat, i have my own site for what to feed and not for my own reference mainly for tree barks. i didnt know that parsley was a eating stimulant tho thanks for that.

I would recommend using betadine to clean the wound. You can purchase it at the pharmacy, I had to ask the pharmacist but it was available with no prescription.

It is what my vet uses to clean wounds. It is safer than antibiotic creams to digest (betadine is completely harmless when ingested), and it soaks into the would very well to disinfect deeply.

I use a cotton pad or ball, and just dab the betadine on the wound as often as I can.

Zeke had a huge injury to his genitals where almost all the skin was pulled off by another bunny. He had to be totally reconstructed, and betadine is what my vet highly recommended to put on the healing wound several times a day to help keep it clean.

Zeke was also on oral pain medications and injectable antibiotics for just over a week after his reconstruction surgery.

Also, someone around here has some pictures of a home made soft collar. It seems to work much better than those lampshade ones. Bunny still cannot chew on themselves, but is not restricted so much with eating and drinking on their own. Zeke was also in a plastic lampshade collar, and it was the most stress full part of the entire ordeal for him. If I had known about the soft collar then, I would have tried it with him.

--Dawn

The one secret I figured out w/ the collar was feeding out of a frisbee instead of a bowl...allowed him to get to the pellets better...but also to easy to sit in them, poop and dump them all over!

I have since gotten ahold of something else to clean wounds that vets use Chlorhexidine Scrub...used it recently on a lip wound, worked well! Will have to look into some betadine!

it has scabs on it so i know its not a recent wound..if i do notice her chewing on it than i will def truck myself to either the vets or petsmart ( if our vet has them as its a small town) and pick it up..thanks every one you've been a huge help.

Latest posts

Back