I too have a couple questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imsarah

Reaction score
I'm building my rabbit hutch for outside. Its 2x4x4. I plan on having it be a double decker once I get the upstairs living space situated.

Heres my questions:

How big an area should I have for his "den"? As I'm going right now, I was going to do a 2x2 area of mesh on one end of the hutch, and a 2x2 area of plywood. Should I enclose the whole plywood area as his den, or should I make it smaller and more cozy like? I'm visualizing what it will be like for him and from my point of view, it doesn't strike me as feeling very safe. Its 2 feet tall x 2x2 feet of floor space. Does that feel like a safe hidey hole to you? How big a hidey hole would he find cozy?

Summertime gets HOT here. What kind of measures can I take to keep him cool? I was considering marble tiles and/or a mister. I plan on having the hutch under the shade tree on the north end of the yard, no direct sunlight but I'm still nervous. Any ideas other than keeping him in the kitchen while I'm not home?

Thats all I've got for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later.

I would make the enclosed area big enough for him to lie down stretched out in any direction. Should be cosy enough and room enough for him to move around comfortably.

In the summers, frozen water bottles, cold tiles and lots of fresh water.

-Dawn

How big is he? If he's a little bun you could do 18"x2'. Otherwise, if you start with 2x2 you have lots of room for bedding/insulation, or you could have a hack rack on the roof. You can also pop a cardboard box inside to make it cosier. Gives you space if you get him a partner too :)

Will he have a run too? Going double storey is a great way to add extra space but bunnies need time in a spacier area for running full out :)

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure how big he'll get. The shelter had his age listed as 5mos and he's 5 lbs, so I imagine he'll get bigger. I think I will enclose the plywood living room and put a smaller critter cubby in there for him in case he wants someplace smaller to hide in.

Back