I think my rabbit might have something wrong with it.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireTH04

Reaction score
My rabbit is about 2 years old and I've been noticing some strange things lately.

first a couple weeks ago thetips of his ears seemed to be getting crusty, only the tips, and Ithought it looked to be going away.

now i just noticed today thathis whole upper chest area has no hair. I don't believe it's moltingseason for rabbits around here (it's usually in august). But even if itwere molting season, it doesn't look like a normal molting pattern.Also the skin underneath looks pink, it doesn't look like a bite oranything.

Could this be from the heat, could he bepulling his hair out on his own because he is not ajusting to the heatwell? and if he is pulling it out himself I don't see muchhair around or in his cage, could he be eating it? if so what should igive him to help him digest the hair easier?

It's kind of scary, should I take him to the vet or is it common?

You may want the vet to check into a possiblefungal infection. I've seen this on a rabbit (scabbingstarted at the tips of the ears), it also developed crusting around theeyes and nose. In this particular case, it turned out to bebacterial, but the same symptoms can be attributed to a number ofcauses.

Pam

Yup. Might take awhile though. Mites can also cause fur loss. Mine had the ear thing a couple years ago.

Rose

Latest posts

Back