I think my bunny is paralized, please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BritRoyal1987

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I hate my first thread is bad news but I really need help

My lop ear bunny had 2 large bowl movements, like bouncy ball size clumps and now Is just laying down. He is drinking when I hold his bottle and making no sounds of discomfort. He hasn't ate since, this has been about 3 hours now.

I have a small farm, mostly poultry in rural NC. Because of the incredible storm we just experienced ,the only vet who sees rabbits within 2 hours of here is closed today! I've called several emergency vets as well but no luck finding anyone close enough open today !

Thank you all in advance for reading and hopefully giving me some pointers!!

It's was a huge clump and after doing some extra reading I realize that may have been the poop they normally injest, but I didn't know it was such a large clump at once. Also this rabbit is a jumper, he has jumped up and down enough to knock the top of the cage open and then jump out, so my husband feels like he may have jumped and paralyzed himself. At this point I have him drinking sugar water well but not eating, he is still fairly limp but I feel him tense a little in his neck region when I'm loving and talking to him. I know he has popped normal since this cause I chase him wrapped in an towel, but not sure that he's peed at all, I will go look.

If you think he's injured his back, I would restrict movement by very carefully moving him keeping his spine in line, and putting him in something like a laundry basket with towels on the sides of him. Then I would have some hay near his head so he can choose to eat it if he wants, and a little dish of water to the side of his head.

You will need to start syringe feeding him if he isn't eating well, both food and water. I would syringe some plain Pedialyte to boost his electrolytes, then if you have Oxbow Critical Care feeding mix, I would mix some of that up and feed 4-6ml per lb of body weight, every 4 hours. If you don't have critical care mix, you may be able to make a pellet mush with his pellets soaked in warm water and mixed up to a thick soup like consistency. But it usually clogs a syringe so you may need to cut the tip off so it won't clog, or try spoon feeding. If you can't get that to work, I know some people will try plain canned pumpkin(not the spiced pie filling) and syringe feed that. It's important to keep him fed and his digestive tract moving until you can get him to the vet, hopefully tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back