I think I just avoided stasis...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night, Naboo was really starting to scare me. He was sitting all hunched up, eyes halfway closed in his litter box and he would not take anything from me. No treats, petromalt, papaya tablets, nothing. Since it was 4 in the morning, I told my mom, but she just told me to go back to sleep. I ended up sitting there and attempting to give him a tummy rub, thinking it was gas, then told my mom that when she woke up for work, keep an eye on his litter box and if he was eating any hay or anything (I had just changed his litter). Luckily, by the time she got up for work, he was hopping around, asking for pets and eating lots of hay, so I think it was just gas, however, I'm still nervous. I'm headed into town (I'm an hour away from Naboo's vet) and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to pick up some simethicone and pedialyte, but is there anything else I can pick up to help him in case this happens again?

Wow good thinking to start treatment before the problem blows up into something bigger
you can also get some benebac if you are in town and also afresh pineapple

rosetintedlenses wrote:
I'm going to have to pick up some simethicone and pedialyte, but is there anything else I can pick up to help him in case this happens again?

Canned pumpkinisgreat for prevention and early treatment. My molting bunnies get a couple of tablespoonsdaily. I try andget them used to eating it as a treat before they need it.

sas :bunnydance:

I have a couple of suggestions. The first response to stasis should always be hydration. I am quick to shoot fluids either sub-q or IV. Oral (by mouth) fluids are better than nothing. And keep in mind that leafy greens such as romaine lettuce are very good at hydration....in moderation of course. We have seen instances when stasis is caught early that all it takes is a couple of leaves of romaine and a little running around. Simethicone is excellent if the problem is gas....but like many other drugs, it can slow a gut so I would use it in a stasis situation with caution. I would suggest tossing the Petromalt. The use of these type of lubricants have been around for years....but they are for carnivore guts....not herbivores. In a hind gut fermenter (rabbit, GP, degu, chin, etc.) the formulas such as Petromalt actually make things worse. The gel adds extra pressure which compacts any impaction...the exact opposite of what you need to happen. The compacting ingesta also requires additional fluids and as the body pulls those fluids to attempt to hydrate any mass, it results in additional levels of dehydration. Again, not what you want. I do not use those type products here. We do use pineapple juice despite the fact that there is no clinical evidence that it works.....but it seems to work here. The key to using pineapple juice is to use fresh squeezed juice directly from the fruit....do not use precessed juice.

Stasis is always a symptom of something else....usually dietary. I would suggest reviewing your husbandry protocols to make sure you are providing a proper diet. Make sure nothing is being ingested that shouldn't be (carpet is a prime suspect). And sometimes, despite doing everything by the book, stasis happens.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
Stasis is always a symptom of something else....usually dietary. I would suggest reviewing your husbandry protocols to make sure you are providing a proper diet. Make sure nothing is being ingested that shouldn't be (carpet is a prime suspect). And sometimes, despite doing everything by the book, stasis happens.
I wanted to highlight this part, because we ran into a few bouts of stasis a year ago with one of ours...and eventually realized it was linked to giving too many rolled oats. A year later and we haven't had a single stasis scare, so taking a good look at the bun's diet can be super beneficial :)

Good to hear you've avoided it! Definitely keep simethicone and pedialyte on hand, and Critical Care if you can get it. I also keep some apple/banana baby food and syringes to feed these things on hand too. Currently I also have a pumpkin waiting to be cooked, so usually I do have pumpkin puree on hand as well. Many of those things should be in a bunny's "medicine cabinet". Another thing that can help prevent is to have a very hay-based diet (80% is good), so cutting back on pellets can help too.

Thank you all for your suggestions, it's really helped a lot! I gave Naboo 1 cc of simethicone and I have bought him some pedialyte to give to him as well. I also have some canned pumpkin that I found in our cabinet, so I will try to give him a bit. He is going to the bathroom a little, but it's just small right now, so hopefully that will start to get better. He is hopping around, eating hay and drinking lots of water now, so I'm hoping that this will be all over soon!

Latest posts

Back