I think I broke my bunny :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly316

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So last wednesday I took Nubbles to get spayed. It's been 7 days now and I think theygave me the wrong bunny back. She's been very skiddish since then--runs away if we try to pet her or even walk by her. Before the spay she was all cuddly and nice...now it's just like she doesn't want anything to do with us. I'm sure some of it has to do with her not being horny anymore :shock:, and I'm sure she's not all that trusting of me at the moment. I've been very patient with her...letting her come to me and trying to bribe her a bit with her favorite treats, but I'm just worried she won't get back to herself.Is this normal behavior for a bunny after a spay, and does anyone have any suggestions on how I can win her over again?? I miss my cuddly bunny (don't miss the humping though hehe).

Also, she seems to have it out for her litterbox...the other night she detached it from the side of her cage and dumped everything out (ew), and then proceeded to throw it all around. When I filled it back up and put it back, I'd barely gotten it back when she did it again! What's up with that!

i didnt have this problem but my first thought is to say that give her time she is probably mad,lol, and what she has gone through is really stressfull. Keep talking to her nice, and giver her treats and rubs and things like that and just let her come to you. I would also make sure that she is pooping and peein, and eating also normally and make sure this change isnt something more serious, if everything else is ok then she is just probablly made at you,lol.

yeah...I think she's mad at me :(. She's back to her normal self with everything except that I guess. She'll come up to us and hang out for a sec before moving on to the next interesting thing, but if we go to touch her she's outta there.

We've also been wanting to get her a friend. Do you think we should wait a bit until she's a little more loveable again, or would another bun maybe help?

I just have to say, and I don't know if it's related to the spaying, but mine did the whole digging out the litterbox- EVERY TIME WE FILLED IT!! :grumpy: :grumpy:Mouse, in particular, would just get in there and dig the whole lot out... Drove us mad.... (Although we couldn't help smiling at how cute she looked lol) But anyway, it was just after she had been spayed, it continued for about 6 weeks or so, at most? And she's been fine ever since... Although I can't say that it was definately related to being spayed!

The rest of it sounds like she may just be mad at you, for taking away her womanhood lol! :p

Unless, like Fran mentioned, she could be in any pain at all, have you checked her wound, just to make sure it's all looking ok? One of my girls had a stitch come through the skin, and that caused her some pain and grumpiness, but it was easily taken care of...

I hope things get better for you! :)

I think I'd be mad too if someone stuffed me in a cage and took away my womanhood lol.

I have been trying...keyword trying... to check the wound, but she's making it difficult with all the running away, and I don't want to chase her and traumatize her more :/ From what I can tell though (I like to trick her by holding a craisin above her head to make her stand up so I can take a peek :p), the wound looks good, and she's doing plenty of running and jumping.

That's funny about the litterbox...but 6 weeks?? I'm gonna have to get a second job to pay for all the extra litter ;)

Well, hopefully, it might not go on that long for you! :? We just kept sweeping up the litter and putting it back... which did get very annoying lol.... But also we learnt to only use a thin layer of the litter, as they just weren't using it, and it was less waste that way...

What litter are you using? The wood pellets, or stove pellets, as they're known as over there I believe, are quite cheap compared to other litters....

Also, it's good that her wound looks ok, it's one less thing to worry about :)

If it isonly 7 days after her spay she has not physically recovered from the surgery itself. A spay is really invasive unlike a nueter and I'm sure that she could still be a little sore.
I would wait awhile before getting her a friend.

Other members from the US might come along and correct me here, but I *think* that wood pellets would be a lot cheaper for you to use, especially since your girly is wasting so much lol... Hopefully again other members will come along and tell you where you can get them from! They're treated in such a way that gets rid of the harmful oils etc that can be harmful to buns, and are biodegradeable too....When it's 'used', it just turns into sawdust kind of stuff... :)

Did you get pine shavings????

If you get pine bedding it must be pelleted, (like feline pine), and kiln dried.
The oil in pine shavings makes a dangerous mixture when it mixes with the urine of a rabbit. Rabbits that live in either pine or cedar shavings have elevated liver enzymes.
Check to make sure that you have safe bedding ;)

i would wait to get her afriend and let her get back to herself for a while. Give it a few months and let her recover completely before possibly stressing her with another bunny,lol.

As far as the pine pellet bedding, it is way cheaper then the yn and carefresh. This weekend i am hoping to get out and get those plastic craft screens for on top and i am going to try this. you can get a giant bag which is something like 30-40 pounds of the Equine bedding for less then 6.00 oppose to the 14.00-15.00 for yesterdays news. The only thing i disliked about the equine pine is the way it condenses down to a saw dust, when my buns would jump out some of it would come with them and it would be all over my coro bottom cage, so i am going to ttry the screen thing.

Ruby was NOT happy after being spayed. She still does not like having her tummy rubbed and she used to love that. She would let total strangers come up and rub her tummy. It's been 9 months. She actually bit my husband and became rather cage agressive after her spay. Give it time, and spend a little extra time with her. Give her a chance to feel better and forgive you. I would definitally wait until she is fully healed and trusting you again before adding another bun.

Latest posts

Back