I regret

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this isn't going to go over very well, but I think if I were to do it over again, I would not have him neutured! Popular wisdom has it that neutering doesn't change the rabbits personality, but Hershey's has changed since the surgery!

Before: I would come down stairs and he would be estatic! He's race around the room, show off how fast he could go through his tunnels, and jump over his toys. He's do some binkies, run around my feet a few times, then sit in the "groom me" postition so I could pick him up. When I picked him up, he would snuggle and purr and groom me back.

After: I come downstairs, and have to search to find Hershey. If he is where I can't reach him, I have to coax it him out. If I can reach him, he usually lets me pick him up, and he will snuggle and purr and sometimes groom me. Sometimes, though, he clearly does not want any attention. I get a foot flick and the cold shoulder. Occasionally, he runs around alittlebit, and acts happy to see me, but he doesn't have that exuberance he used to. No binkies.

I really miss the happy Hershey!

And yes, he's been back to the vet after the surgery, and the vet said he was fine!

How long ago was Hershey's neuter? I'm not very familiar with his story, but if he was only neutered recently, he could still he sore and a bit confused about what's happened to him. Which is understandable, considering that he didn't know this was coming and he was scared and confused during the operation.

Generally rabbits seem a little more subdued after their operation, but not unusually so. Are you 100% sure that he's alright? If it's been more than a few weeks, then you might want to check him over again, and make sure that he is alright. Did he get disolveable (I can't spell today) stiches, or do they have to be removed. Is it possible that he has a cut or a sore where you hold him or pat him?

It might just be that he was a little confused by the operation, and the bond between you and him has suffered a little. I'm sure that if you spend time with him, and respect his space and wishes, you'll get your happy, healthy bunny back. :)

Keep in mind that you did do you right thing by neutering him. He is no longer driven into insanity by male hormones and urges, and he can now be safely introduced to other bunnies. He will be easier to litter train, and you have extended his lifespan.

Best of luck,
Rachel.

Neutering is often done to help quell the hormones and tone down aggressive behaviors. In Hershey's case, it's very possible thathis previousaffectionate behavior was hormonally influenced, however, I think you'll see more of his loving personality coming back as he adjusts to his "new" self.

Pam

It may also have something to do with his age. He may be leaving that baby bunny stage and heading for the adult look but don't touch attitude and that may simply have coencided with his neuter.

Just wanted to make a few comments here. It's important to see the big picture when talking about spays/neuters. Like has been mentioned by others, it is very possible the change in behavior is much more the maturing from a playful baby to a cautious adult. Times like these are when it is very important to understand a rabbit and treat him accordingly. He might just be going thru a bad time like we do sometimes. But my concern is the comment that you would not have him neutered if you could reverse things.

There are two things you can do for any animal to show the utmost in affection. One is have them spayed/neutered and the other is the ultimate decisionwhen their quality of life has deteriorated to the point they don't enjoy living.....and trust me, that last one is the toughest decision I make in rescue. Altering does change them sometimes. But the sinister side that many people miss is reproductive organ cancer. I had a call from a family in a near by town. They were desperately seeking help for a rabbit they found sitting in the middle of the street. They quickly recognized this bunny was in serious trouble. I received several calls from various people around town that these people, despite their limited means, were trying to find help for this rabbit. The gentleman indicated that he suspected a near by breeder may have abandoned this rabbit due to illness. When we got there, we found a very emaciated and dehydrated rabbit....so dehydrated he bent a 19g needle. He weighed only about 3 pounds. But one of his testicles was larger than a golf ball. We knew he had cancer. This was on a Saturday and we started a very aggressive treatment protocol. Despite his poor (but improved)overall condition, we had an emergency neuter performed the following Thursday. His life was on the line and hisprognosis was poor. Luckily, Dusty's cancer was successfully removed and he is living the autumn of his life here in our sanctuary.

Having said all of that....I know you did the right thing by having him neutered. The behavior issues can be dealt with by patience, understanding andsome TLC. There are usually not many good outcomes to the medical issues that face many unaltered rabbits....and female uterine cancer is a horrible event.

Randy

Hershey is about 8 months old. The surgery was about 4 weeks ago. It was done by an exotic animal vet., recommended by the local rabbit org. He went back 2 weeks ago for a recheck and was pronounced fine. He had disovlable (I can't spell either! lol!) stitches. He was doing fine with his litter box, and didn't really have any aggressive or otherwise "bad" behaviors.

He just had such a zest before the operation. I just feel bad that I squashed it. He is still a sweet. cuddly bun, just not the "excited to be alive" bun he was before. He still eats well had good poops and pees, I can't find any sores or anything, but I'll look him over good again.

Thanks for your replies. Maybe it was the right thing to do, I just hope I didn't change his life as much as it seems!

Just to let you know, that is also the age when Mocha started having a change in personality, to be more adult. She was spayed at 4.5 months. I agree that it could very well be that his age is making a good bit of the changes, along with perhaps a bit of confusion after the neuter. After all, his normal hormone-filled body is changing and loosing those hormones (which takes at least a month plus) and he feels different and no longer needs to act on those hormones.

I think if you spend more time sitting with him and reassuring him you'll find he still loves you, he's just being a more cautious adult now. Think of it as the maturity difference between the average human 13 year old and 20 year old. It is difficult to see your beloved pet changing like this, I know. But what you did was for the best, and I'm sure that given a little time your bond with him will be as strong as ever.

Latest posts

Back