i have a lop ear rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyboy34

Reaction score
my lop ear had her kit about a weekago. and there eyes are almost open. and is she still feeding them arenot? i think she is preagant again..because when she lays onher side you can see them moving in her ..she hasnt been with the buckabout 3 weeks ago..so how can that be...so can someone help me..theykits are big and healthy so wht do they eat now? they areabout a week old/

ok..but can she be still be pregant now? becase i can see them moving in her when she lays on her side

hmmmm no i dont think so not if the buck hasentbeen in her cage since she had them.i mean this in the nicest way andwe are here to help 100% but sweetie maybe you should go tothe book store and get a book on rabbit care ectits a good thing to ave in sticky situations.are these rabbits yourpets or childrens pets sorry for being nosey;)

sara

Hello Danny,

The movements that you're probably noticing is digestion... to theuntrained eye it looks similar to babies moving inside. Iwon't go into all of the red tape and possiblities, but the chances ofit being just digestion is more likely.

A doe will nurse her kits pretty much as long as they are withher. You do not want to separate the kits from their momuntil they are AT LEAST 6 weeks old, 7 or 8 weeks is ideal for the kitshealth. You will not notice the mom in with the babies atall... rabbits only nurse once a day oronce every 12 hoursand it's usually late at night when most people are asleep.It will look like she's not caring for them during the day, but as longas their bellies look full (they've been fed) all is well.

The kits eyes will open between 8-14 days old. A few daysafter their eyes open, they will start exploring their nestbox and thenslowly explore beyond the box. When they start to leave thenest on their little excursions, that's when you want to slowlyincrease the mother's feed as the babies will start nibbling on solidfoods. They will still nurse from their mom as their maindiet staple... so don't think that they're eating solid foods as theirmain diet... it's not.

After about 7 weeks, then you can start removing the babies (sincethere's 4, I suggest first removing 2, then after about 2 or 3 daysremove 1 more, then 2 or 3 days later remove the last. Thiswill help safely dry up the mother's milk supply). If youaren't already... I suggest providing an unlimited amount of TimothyHay for the babies and mother to nibble on... this is high in fiber andhelps babies in transitioning from milk to solid foods more easily.

Good luck with your little ones!

~Sunshine

gjsara wrote:
hmmmm... but sweetie maybe you should go tothe book store and get a book on rabbit care ectits a good thing to ave in sticky situations
Sara has made a good point. If this is the first litter youare raising you might want to do some research as there may be conceptsand questions that you haven't even thought of yet that wouldbe beneficial for you to learn.

If you click on Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care in the contentswindow and scroll down, you will find some good suggested readingmatter.

Best of luck with the new litter of kits.

Buck

Latest posts

Back