I hate the gender fairy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I had a litter that I like - partly because of who the mom is. I was so pleased to get does from her - and the one tortI was watching....became a buck sometime this last week. So did the sable point one I liked the best too.

I'm sorry - I just had to vent!

Oh well - I think I'll go take out my frustrations by cleaning the rabbitry!

Peg

I know the feeling... but under different circumstances:

I had this really nice Lilac buck in a litter... positive it was a buck, do doubts... as it matured... still a perfect buck - really typey too, I was going to enter him into MR Nationals this year.

Then it happened... Last week at almost 4mos old...

The worst split P I've ever seen! Had he not had his testicles already descended, I would have thought the sex change fairy had made a pass. This was the first case of split P I've had- and I was (still am) devastated that it happened to such a nice show prospect.

OH NO!

Am I correct that he can't breed too if he has that? I've never encountered one before....I'm not sure I'd recognize it...maybe I should check a couple of my non-producing younger bucks?

Peg

Some people say it's genetic (I believe it maybe) and carries as a hidden recessive in the does, while others say it could be caused by environmental things. The buck can still successfully breed a doe, but I wouldn't... I'm sure it is genetic, so no need to increase the potential of it occurring in future generations.

Back