I got an eighth month old dwarf and boy is he ever different

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
My husband has been nice and taking me to the Humane Society because I have wanted to visit the dwarfs as I really miss having Angel around. We visited a little dwarf named Ninja who is an all black dwarf. He is quite nice and cuddly. Now he is home with us in his new double decker home and I must say he is quite different then any of the other rabbits that I have. He is so rambunctious and wants to do nothing but stay in his cage. He also riles up all of the other bunnies in that they are all lunging at him. Any suggestions as to toys that I can give him to stimulate him?

Also, should I be feeding him an alfalfa based food or is Timothy hay based food okay? How much should I feed him? He is 2.5 pounds. Thanks for your help as I am taking on this new en devour. Oh and he is fixed. Fixed on December 15th.

Shannon.

Phonebooks are popular toys over here with my buns. They both have their own Yellowbook in their cages. Hours of shredding (and cleaning!) fun! My dwarf, Toby, likes having loose towels around to dig in. He also has a hanging metal-mesh ball for tucking treats in.

Your dwarf will probably want to start coming out eventually. Toby was very unsure of anywhere besides his cage when I first brought him home (and this lasted a few months!). Now, he hates his cage, and he will only tolerate being inside of it for the night.

If he is over six months, I think the rule of thumb is to give him mostly timothy hay. A little alfalfa mixed in won't hurt, though. As far as feeding goes, dwarfs eat very little. My guy is a four-pound Nethie, and he eats about one ounce of food/day. I think one ounce is a little less than a 1/4 cup. Some people feed as little as 1/8 cup (I've heard of people feeding their rabbits a tablespoon or two, as well). Until someone corrects me, I would think 1/8 cup could be enough for your little guy.

Congrats on the new bun. As he was just recently neutered it will take up to 90 days for the hormones to settle down. He will settle down.

Mine like anything from the simple toliet/paper towel roll to jingle cat toys.

Latest posts

Back