I feel stressed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foofoosmom1

Reaction score
I was away overnight and asked a "bunny friendly"friend to clean the hutches and give fresh food and water to my outsidebunnies. This person has always been verytrustworthy. Anyway, when I checked with him the next day -he told me he didn't feel well the night before and didn't doit. When I came home from work, Foo Foo's cage was full withpoop and a million flies!!! Foo Foo's poops (not to be gross)are like logs and don't always fall through the cage. Now I'mparanoid that Foo Foo is going to get fly strike again (she had it lastyear). I keep watching her and waiting for a sign.This morning she was fine. But she always has a flithy buttand doesn't let me clean it - so I tried giving her a "dry bath" withbaby powder (without talc). Hopefully that helped herout.

I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Oh Dear! I'd be stressed too.

I'd consider taking her to the vet for a quick check of the situationsince it can turn so fatal if not attended to early.Personally, I think the only way I'd feel better is to get her checkedout. When in doubt, I wouldn't wait. It can quicklybecome a problem and is hard to see with the naked eye.

As you know, the flies don't need to lay eggs only on the messy or opensore part of the rabbit, that environment just attracts them.

I certainly don't mean to alarm you, but I don't think you can be anymore alarmed than what you already are and how you described what youcame home to.

-Carolyn

Good idea, Carolyn. I was able to makean appointment for first thing tomorrow morning. (Too bad not sooner,but I take what they give me...since she not showing signs ofanything). I'll let you know how I make out. Thanksagain for being there.

I'm so glad you chose to be proactive, foofoosmom1.

I'll be thinking and praying for you both. Please let us know when you get home tomorrow how it worked out.

-Carolyn

Any way to put a larger "grid" wire for the floor, that would enable poops to fall through, yet provide adequate foot support?

Don't forget vanilla in drinking water to discourage flies.Approximately 1 tsp per gallon of drinking water, more or less.

Friends of ours out Bakerfield, CA way suggest the old fashioned flystrips. Claudia says their inexpensive enough and catchmyriads of flies, so she is willing to replace them as needed

Buck

Vanilla does repel flies, however, it's effectquickly wears off even when applied topically. I can'timagine it would have much of an effect once it has passed through thedigestive system.

We used to use an anti-fly medication with the horses that was added tothe feed. The insecticide passed through the digestive systemand killed fly larvae that hatched in the manure.

Pam

Plus, I would definitely drape the area around the cage in fly strips.

-Carolyn

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/pub1384.htm#fly

Fly Control
If rabbit manure is kept dry, there is little fly breeding. Gooddrainage under the cages and good ventilation keep manure dry. Leakingwaterers usually create most of the problems. Proper pressureadjustment and replacement of defective values help prevent theproblem.
In spite of all you do, manure occasionally gets moist enough to attract fly breeding. Here are additional fly control methods:

1. Sprinkle agricultural lime generously over the manure twice weeklyor as the situation demands. Lime absorbs much of the moisture.
  2. Fly breeding in the manure is determined by a noticeable increase inadult flies. By stirring the manure, you will see maggots working.Spray manure only with larvicides approved for poultry cage houses.Follow label directions. Have house well ventilated when you spray. Forproduct names and directions, get the housefly control publication foregg and poultry producers, MCES Publication 306, from your countyagent.
  3. For adult fly control refer to Publication 306. Pyrethrins areeffective but may irritate the young rabbits and the operatortemporarily. Always watch for undesirable effects. Be sure to followlabel precautions listed for poultry.
  4. Use fly baits on walks. Spray grass areas outside the house.
  5. Proper manure management is the safest, most economical, and effective way to control flies.

Latest posts

Back