Hutch size for two bunnys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolevins

Reaction score
Heya, We got our hutch a couple of months ago maybe around July. I can't remember the measurments so when I measured it i got 45+ 8/16 inches width. The outside wood of the hutch is ....... . The length is ... . The roof is ...

Width : 45inches
Length : 2ft
Surface of bottom/top: 2 ft

Is this big enough for a dwarf and mixed bun (mutt is about the size of a dutch bunny) :p ? I realy hope it it otherwise I will feel like I have been neglecting them or something :shock:

I have a cage, a bit smaller in length but I would rather have them bonded than seperated.

I read on the Internet that :

It is recommended that you purchase the best quality you can afford, your rabbit will need it for 7--12 years. Make sure that the hutch is large enough for your rabbit to stretch full out, and high enough for your rabbit to stand upright. Dutch rabbits are generally comfortable in a 4' x 2' hutch.

Another post on yahoo answers:
a minimum of 6 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet with a run for exercise.

For two rabbits I would buy them a 4by 2 foot hutch but the size depends on if the cage will be inside or out
______

My buns CAN stretch out grand, and when buns stand up high there is about 3 or 4 inches taller. Now I feel like I have done something wrong :? This was the biggest hutch at the shop costing 100euros. It is made of wood. Maybe I should make a small level like half the size of the hutch?

It's a good size for just 2 rabbits. When you realize 45" is almost 4 feet long it's pretty big. Bigger cage than that is just wasted space unless your bunnies never get out of jail.

I let my rabbits out for about 8 hours a day (I leave hutch door open. I will get a pic or two tomorrow cause its night here, just to show yous what it is like.

If the RWA (Rabbit Welfare Association) covers Ireland then their recommendation is 6ft by 2ft by 2ft, MINIMUM! For two small rabbits.

A fourfoot hutch is ok if they have a run permanently attached, but if they don't then ideally they should have a bigger hutch.

Are they fully bonded together? Or do they fight?
If they are loving and gentle with each other the vast majority of the times, and are always spending time together, then they are likely bonded.

As Flashy mentioned, there are some parameters likely in place in Ireland. I understand that you have a 4-ft hutch. It would be likely be cheaper to buy a foldable dog exercise pen, and attach it to the hutch when you are not going to be around.

Flashy wrote:
If the RWA (Rabbit Welfare Association) covers Ireland then their recommendation is 6ft by 2ft by 2ft, MINIMUM! For two small rabbits.

A fourfoot hutch is ok if they have a run permanently attached, but if they don't then ideally they should have a bigger hutch.

I have a feeling that those RWA MINIMUM recommendations are for rabbits that are jailed in their hutch for life.

It's tricky letting a rabbit out of a hutch if not tamed and bonded with you. It's almost impossible to catch. However a rabbit that doesn't run away from you when it's time to go back in the hutch can run around on its own. I have a couple that run around all day and very willing to go back to a 2'x2' cage. Then I have others that I don't let run around free but live in a 3'x6' home. When I know I can trust them to run free I'll give them a smaller home.

Baby Juliet wrote:
Flashy wrote:

I have a feeling that those RWA MINIMUM recommendations are for rabbits that are jailed in their hutch for life.
No, that's not the case at all. The RWA recommendations are for the minimum permanent amount of space they should have.

Yes, they are fully bonded and do not fight. Jenni is sorta like the 'alpha' to Oreo because if Jenni ran somewhere Oreo would be right behind. When I was feeding them this morning I lifted up Jenni and Oreo ran away.

When they are out, Jenni comes over to me, but when I try catch Oreo she runs away.

I will say it to my mam about getting a dog pen after Christmas. Where I live it usually rains ALOT so sometimes they can't get out

Flashy wrote:
Baby Juliet wrote:
Flashy wrote:

No, that's not the case at all. The RWA recommendations are for the minimum permanent amount of space they should have.
It's too late to edit this post now, so I'll have to post a new one.

The RWA 'Rabbits need SECS' leaflet http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/SECS130807.pdf says

'Two rabbits can share a hutch at night with daily access
to a large exercise run (or garden). The drawbacks are
that the rabbits will be in the run during the day, rather
than dawn and dusk when they are naturally active.
Also, they may miss their daily exercise in bad weather.
You should never keep your
rabbits in a hutch
permanently, they need daily
exercise, ideally 8 hours per
day in a large run or garden.
However, you should still
ensure that their hutch is
large enough. Hutches can
never be too big. The
minimum size for average
sized rabbits is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft.'

nicolevins wrote:
Yes, they are fully bonded and do not fight. Jenni is sorta like the 'alpha' to Oreo because if Jenni ran somewhere Oreo would be right behind. When I was feeding them this morning I lifted up Jenni and Oreo ran away.

When they are out, Jenni comes over to me, but when I try catch Oreo she runs away.

I will say it to my mam about getting a dog pen after Christmas. Where I live it usually rains ALOT so sometimes they can't get out
Getting a run is a great idea, because when it rains, you can put a cover on it so they can still have a run, but not get wet. You can use things like corrugated plastic, tarpaulin, an old shower curtain, etc.

Remember that whatever space they go in needs to be safe for them (i.e. no predators-including birds of prey, can get them), they can't get out, nothing poisonous in there for them, etc.

We have 'cobble-lock' or something for the garden ground. The ground is like this:

PedestaPaving.jpg

When we were getting Oreo the 2nd rabbit, I asked about the ground and the staff in the shop said it is alright but not for baby rabbits.

Also- we have a concrete wall about 10ft high. We get no predators or anything because we live in the city. We have a dog though. We get the odd pigeon hopping along the wall but that would be it...

I'm guessing 'cobble-lock' might be good for the rabbits as their nails would probably wear down faster than if they're digging in soil. If the back is walled in you can let them run around without a pen. Just make sure there are no openings where they can escape. I have a chain link fence but they seem to be able to dig under. Lucky they don't run away but just enjoy my neighbor's lush grass. They usually come back at pellet feeding time. If not I just have to go into the neighbor's yard.

I don't even have to trim Jenni's nails. When I got her they were fine, I check them regulary but it is near the quick so I wouldnt attempt to clip her nails.. Oreos nails were in a bad state so she is fine now after I trimmed them , they stay small running around.

My mam said she will think about the pen idea

Latest posts

Back