Hutch info needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rygel

Reaction score
We recently got a cottontail, about 2 months old. I have had rabbits in the past but not quite this young, so I'm worried that the cleaned up dog crate I have, will be too wide of bars for this little guy. bar spacing is 1 1/2" I have a feeling he will be able to squeeze through. It's a standard dog crate (well cleaned before possibly offered to little Hare-y F. Houdini) with the plastic tray bottom, one large door on the front.
I've had lops in the past and I know as an adult this size crate would be fine (used to just leave the door open to the crate and would only close it when it was time to clean his area). However this little guy is about 2-3 months old so I'm worried that even with keeping the door closed, zip ties to keep the plastic tray from moving etc that the side bars are too far apart.

What do y'all think/suggest. I thought of lining the inside with something like chicken wire, but then there's the issue of the door and clipping the wire to attach to the inside that he could cut himself on etc.

I understand this is unrelated to your question, but to clarify, you have a wild, cottontail rabbit? If that's true, in the vast majority of cases, the rabbit will thrive best through a wildlife rehabilitation facility if currently in your possession due to some sort of injury or being orphaned. Wild cottontail rabbits should not be kept as pets-- they are not a domesticated rabbit.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Wild_rabbits

Back