how to???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaticRex

Reaction score
i want to let my rabbit run around outside off leash. how do i rabbit proof a yard? there is no fence at the time, though it can put one up. i currently have to have my rabbit on a harness and leash but i want to change that. how? pictures of your ideas would be helpful if you can.

You would need to put up some sort of fence. A solid one would be better than a chain link. There would need to be no gaps that a rabbit could fit through. It would need to be at least 4ft high. The gates also need to be safe, no gaps and they should shut tight.

Make sure any plants are safe for rabbits. If they are not safe, either get rid of them or fence them off securely.

Try to provide shade and protection from predators. Even though you should be out there watching, an attack from a bird would happen in a few seconds.

You can also use x-pens or make an NIC pen to use. Make it as big as you want (or can afford). Having a top to provide shade and protection is a good idea. As long as the area you set it up on is safe for a rabbit, it would work. You can then take it down when you are not using it.

I bought a playpen for the bunnies now while I work at bunny proofing the yard. Like Kate mentionned, you can use NIC grids to make a run. You can also make one yourself. All you'd need is some wood (and nails and hammer or screws etc), mesh, and a staple gun. Basically, you build a wooden frame to the size you want and staple mesh to it. :)

The bunny run is a fab idea. Build it using hinges, and it will fold away easily for storage :)

Another idea that has worked for some folks is to put up a gazebo in the back yard, and make a bunny habitat in there.
Obviously, supervision is required; little bunny teeth can rip a hole in the tent-like fabric.

Keeps our shadflies off too ;) Just get a lawnchair and relax in the gazebo's shade with your bun.

thats the problem. i don't have a backyard. i live in those multi level complexes with small front yards. it would defiantly need to be able to be stored away. i know that the land owners wouldn't care if i put fencing up so i doubt they'd mind the run and stuff. thanks :)

Latest posts

Back