How to treat UTI in Pregnant Doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FusedBrain

Reaction score
hi there,

How do you know for sure if a rabbit has UTI?

I understand that antibiotics are normally use to treat UTI and what about treating a pregnant doe with UTI.

My doe is pregnant and did not have this problem prior to being pregnant. Will the antibiotic affect the kits?

Is it alright if I give her a butt bath with dog oatmeal shampoo to ease the irritated skin around her vent area?

Thanks in advance.

Fused

Can you dry doing a dry butt bath first? Use corn starch on the soiled area, let dry then brush out. It can make a big difference.

I'm not sure about the antibiotics.

Perhaps you could also make a post in the Rabbitry section for breeders to see.

--Dawn

thanks dawn. I will try out powder bath when I get back today. The last I saw it was not inflamed or anything just that her bum is a little damp. I just hope it is because of the heavy belly she is carrying at the moment that is causing her to squat a little lower than needed.

I would think you could give her some cranberry juice and add a little bit of apple juice or something to her water and she might be able to rinse it out on her own, or at least keep her comfortable until she has the kits.

WHat does it look like? and how pregnant is she?

I just ask cause sometimes after being mated they can be a little bit sore round their vent but ti will usually clear up ok or you can get a cream from the vet to apply.

If she is nearly ready to go and its urine staining you could be right and her belly is very big !!

Generally, a UTI is a possiblity if a bunny is having problems urinating. How is she urinating? Have her pee levels changed?

Tundra,

Thanks for the tip. I shall jott that down somewhere. I am still quite skeptical if it is infact an UTI situation.

Polly,

She is expected to be due anytime between 9th and 15th April. I am still anxiously waiting. The person who sold me cannot remember the exact date she was bred because she was left with the buck for a week.

As for the looks of the vent area, it does not look inflamed or anything. Just pee stained around the genital and anus. The both sides of the privates are bald but not inflamed. A little stained on the insides of her thighs. Previously was damp but my last check it was pretty dry.

I have used powder to clean up the area. Combed out all the matts too.

She is heavily pregnant and can be seen as she lies on her side. When I place my thumb on her underside while she's lying down, I could feel kicks. I did not put pressure to the level of palpating though. Just feeling with my thumb.

Here she is:
img_2566.jpg

Does she looks heavily pregnant?

Ivory,

She urinate fine. She is not straining or anything. But I guess she did not hold up her butt high enough to avoid the pee from sipping back onto her fur.
Water consumption has gone up though. I believe that is quite normal for a pregnant does to be drinking lotsa water?

Hope she kindles tonite.

Make sure you pst in the rabbitry and let us know what you get :D

If she is that close to being due i would reckon she is being a bit lazy about lifting her tail she does look pretty heavy with it poor girl.

They can drink a lot more water before they kindle but like anything all buns are different. I would keep an eye on her thoguh just in case

Latest posts

Back