How old should your rabbit be when you breed it

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RABBIT#1

Reaction score
Couldyou breed a rabbit that is 1 year older than another rabbit? Just wondering.

Depends on how old each rabbit is in total, not compared to the other rabbit. Also, if they've been bred before. There are serious risks of pregnancy complications in does who are older at their first breeding. The age depends on the breed, but usually after one year of age or so fat deposits start to build up around the uterus that can be very dangerous.

Have you done any research yet? Start here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=8

Join the ARBA which gives you an extremely useful book, read more books about breeding, and talk to responsible show breeders before you make any decisions. Oh, and if you haven't yet read this thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15999&forum_id=8

I know it sounds like I've been a little harsh about this.I'm not trying to discourage all breeding, I'm trying to make sure you know what you're getting into, what problems might happen, and to make sure you don't make a decision that you'll regret. Breeding is not all happy cute bunnies having perfectly healthy kits.Any experienced breeder could tell you that.

Which rabbit is older - the doe or the buck? How old is the doe? The buck?

and why are you wanting to breed? I don't mean this to sound like a"duh" question...but are both animals pedigreed? Is it for a 4Hproject? To show rabbits?

Also - are both rabbits the same breed?

These are all important questions we would need to know (well the age and breeds of rabbits) before we could really give an intelligent answer.

Peg

RABBIT#1 wrote:
Couldyou breed a rabbit that is 1 year older than another rabbit? Just wondering.

Well, I dont have a rabbit yet, I just wanted to know if you if you could breed a rabbit that is older than the other one.
Which rabbit is older - the doe or the buck? How old is the doe? The buck?

and why are you wanting to breed? I don't mean this to sound like a"duh" question...but are both animals pedigreed? Is it for a 4Hproject? To show rabbits?

Also - are both rabbits the same breed?

These are all important questions we would need to know (well the age and breeds of rabbits) before we could really give an intelligent answer.

Peg

RABBIT#1 wrote:

Each breed has recommended minimum age (and maximum age) for breeding. I only know about lionheads - mainly for does. Bucks can frequently be used till they're fairly old....depending upon their stamina and heart. Does though....well...as I said - it will depend upon the breed. For instance, lionheads can breed younger than Holland Lops and most other lops. (At least I think they're younger than Hollands and I know they can breed younger than the other lops).

Peg

RABBIT#1 wrote:
Doe or buck. does not matter.

Latest posts

Back