How much?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukishi

Reaction score
How much celery and lettuce is bunnies supposed to be allowed and how many times a day or atleast what days i could give them lettuce and celery

Your rabbits are too young and too new to be given veggies yet. New rabbits need a chance to settle in to a new home and should stay on their same diet that they were used to from the place you got them. The only reason to consider changing their diet is if it is causing them health problems. I would wait until your rabbits are at least 12 weeks old, then veggies should be gradually introduced, starting one veggie at a time and only a very small amount. If the small amount of the new veggie doesn't cause mushy poop or an upset stomach(rabbit stops eating, acts usually quite), then you can continue to feed it. When you do start to introduce veggies into their diet, they should never be fed iceberg lettuce, only dark leafy lettuces like green/red leaf, romaine, etc.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-baby.asp
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

If your bunnies are having mushy poop stuck to their bum like you mentioned on your other thread, you really shouldn't be giving them any new foods right now anyways, until you get the mushy poop cleared up.

Sadly, I didn't know that 3 weeks ago when I brought my 8 weeks old bunny home, we had a long conversation with people where he lived and they said that they are getting vegs daily just warned that carrots apples and bananas should be given as a treat only as they have plenty of sugar. So both my bunnies are about 11-12 weeks old now and are getting fresh leaves/vegs daily. The only problem was first time I gave my first bunny some iceberg and it looked like he was very fat after that probably his stomach was bloated he was a bit quiet that day, I never give him iceberg again. But there was no problem with poop.

Sadly, I didn't know that 3 weeks ago when I brought my 8 weeks old bunny home, we had a long conversation with people where he lived and they said that they are getting vegs daily just warned that carrots apples and bananas should be given as a treat only as they have plenty of sugar. So both my bunnies are about 11-12 weeks old now and are getting fresh leaves/vegs daily. The only problem was first time I gave my first bunny some iceberg and it looked like he was very fat after that probably his stomach was bloated he was a bit quiet that day, I never give him iceberg again. But there was no problem with poop.

If your buns are used to the veggies and show no signs of digestive upset(mushy poop, upset stomach, gas causing lack of appetite and lethargy, tooth grinding) they should be fine continuing to get them. It's just when a rabbit is in a new home it isn't a good idea to be doing diet changes as they are often stressed by the changes and this can make them very prone to digestive problems developing, and young rabbits are especially susceptible to serious digestive upset occurring so you want to avoid making dietary changes til they are settled in, not feeling stressed, and a bit older so their digestive systems are more settled. But since yours seem to have adapted ok to the veggies and are doing fine, I would probably just continue to feed them. Just not the iceberg lettuce. Look at the links I posted above for rabbit safe veggies, or this one too.
https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Back