How much hay per day should my bun eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarn

Reaction score
We just got our bunny yesterday! He's doing great, peeing all over the cage, but that's another post!

How much hay per day should I feed him? He really likes the stuff (mixture of Timothy hay and orchard grass) but I don't want to feed him so much that he doesn't eat his pellets. He is 8 1/2 weeks old. He's such a sweet, calm little guy!

I'm going to post a picture soon, I have some adorable photos I took today, just need to download them to my computer and I'll do that tomorrow!

Jules

Limit hay while he's growing. The pellets are formulated with the correct percentage of fiber. Too much interferes with the absorption of important nutrients.

Pam

I personally think that you should just leave out however much you want. My new bunny is a baby also and get unlimited hay and still loves his pellets. :)

:yeahthat:

My rabbits all get unlimited hay and limited pellets about 1/4 cup a day, split into two feedings.

I don't feel that they can ever have to much hay, excess pellets on the other hand can cause them to become overweight.

Although since he is so young keep a bowl of pellets in with him at all times until he is about 6 months old, at which point he'll be pretty much full grown.

~Hayley

With young babies, I give them free choice of hay and pellets. They will normally have a hay rack full and a food bowl full of pellets.

I make sure they are getting a high quality pellet that is normally 16% protein, and then switch to a lower protein food when they are fully grown.

You can also feed some alfalfa hay while the bun is a baby. It's got lots of protein and other nutrients that are good for a growing bunny. Alfalfa is too rich for a full grown bun to be fed on a daily basis, but great for babies.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back