how much food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rezbeck

Reaction score
how much food do you give your bunnies and howoften cos i read somewhere that they should be fed twice a day? at themoment i go out to work weekdays at 8.30 and i am back homeat 6.30. smoky is a couple of months old and snowy is a couple of weeksyounger.

Erm well I have heard that they should have acertain amount, but I'm not sure of the metric weight. I just feedpelletsat least once a day in the morning and at night ifthere is non left and I alwaysgive fresh hay at night. Aslong as they have ample of it along with Fresh water. Although, maybe Ishould weigh it. I don't know, my buns seem to be doing ok with mymethod! Oh I alsokeep treats to a minimum -amaximumof twice a week or if they have been extragood LOL(meany Mummy I know :p). I give them a bit of carrotor a couple of yogurt drops etc.

Vickie

For a 3-6 lb. bunny, about 1/3 cuppelletsmore or less (depending on size)isenough--or, as I measure it, 1/2 of a tuna can! I actually fed thatmuch to a 7 lb. older buck, but he wasn't burning calories as fast ashe had when young. For 7-10 lbs. a full tuna can usually keeps a goodweight. This is all assuming the bunny's at a healthy weight for hisbreed.

Itmay seemlike you're starving the little fellas,but really they can usually keep a healthy weight on that. Justkeep a very close eye on their weight. Some bunnies, likepeople, have higher metabolism and need more. If you feed Purinapellets, which are high in nutrition, they should be fine.

A bunny that doesn't beg a little in the morning is probably gettingtoo much food. A bunny that tries to rip your arm off to get to thefood either has a mental problem (lol, I've had a couple of those) orprobably doesn't get enough. And the only bunny that gets unlimitedfood is a pregnant or nursing doe. At least in my little herd, anyway!;)

Feel the ribs. If you can feel the outline of ribs covered by a thinfat layer, that's a healthy weight. If the ribs stick out sharply andthe belly is flabby, sunkenand loose, that's too thin. If youhave to push to feel the ribs and the belly balloons out on the sides,that's too chubby. Only a pregnant doe should feel like that.

And be careful when dieting, because rabbits lose weight incrediblyfast, and gain it fast too. Everything needs to be careful, healthy,and gradual.

Good luck! I did a lot of experimenting to find the rightamount--you'll probably need to do the same. Actually, after 12 yrs.,I'm still tailoring that amount to the weather, season, condition,activity level, etc. etc.!

Rose

I know this is not the best way to do it, but Ihave four young bunnies living together. Each morning I justpour out a bowl full of food (no, I don't measure)... and it is usuallygone (or mostly gone) by the next morning. Free-feeding mightnot be the best option for most buns, but it seems to work fine formine. Although I might have to limit it a little more oncethey get older :p

I read in a book that said 2-3 heaping handfuls. And don't forget the hay: VERY important.

You should feed them at the same time every morning and night.

For Trixie I put in an amount that looks good then later before bedI'll check that she has enough to last awhile. If she does: I leave it.If not: I put more in.

I dont think handfuls is a good measeurment ihave large hands my daughter has smallhands my sister inlaw has tinyhands ,not going to come out very even.I feed dwarfs 1/4 cup ,hollandlops 1/3 cup, mini rex 1/3 cup. extra for pregnant or nursingdoes and make adjustments for each rabbit depending on condition, youmust feel the animal.bluebird

I don't know who or where they came up with feeding rabbits twice aday.

The accepted feeding plan is: onne ounce of feed per pound ofrabbits body weight. However for growing youngsters who have not yetachieved tyheir adult weight you should use Full-feed. That is feedavailable twentyfour seven. These are growing bunnies, if you expectthem to achieve their full potential they must have the proper andadaquate feed. They must have available drinkable water at all times.As they get older one must assess each rabbit as to which ones needmore or less feed. You want them to maintain condition but not getover-fat. I hope this helped.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Up until 6 months of age they should getunlimited pellets, and they should ALWAYS have fresh hay to eat andwater. After that, I'd look put on the house rabbit societywebsite for correct amounts/weight...everyone's suggestions have beengreat as well...but if they're young, don't restrict their pellets orhay...greens should be slowly introduced.

-Carrie

We feed twice a day limiting feed to approx. 1oz. per pound of body weight for our smaller breeds. Largerbreeds have slower metabolism, so burn less calories per pound thansmall breeds do.

Since we limit feed, I don't want our rabbits to go 24 hours withoutbeing fed again, especially if they've dumped their feed. Thetwice a day feeding also allows us to more quickly note when a rabbitis ill and hasn't eaten its last meal.

I feel the twice a day feeding more closely emulates the normal eatinghabit of the rabbit, which is most active at dusk and dawn.Wild rabbits eat more frequently, unlike members of the dog or catfamily which gorge themselves and then may go for a long period withouteating/catching prey.

If rabbits are being fed once a day, it is advised to feed in the evening when the rabbit is most active.

The amount of feed a rabbit requires depends on a number of factorsincluding size, age, quality of feed, content of feed, environmentalfactors, temperature and whether or not the rabbit is being used forbreeding.

The popular book "Rabbit Production" recommends the following diet:

Limited pellets, hay and 1/4 cup of mixed vegetables/greens per pound of body weight per day.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Since we limit feed, I don't want our rabbits to go 24 hourswithout being fed again, especially if they've dumped theirfeed. The twice a day feeding also allows us to more quicklynote when a rabbit is ill and hasn't eaten its last meal.

I feel the twice a day feeding more closely emulates the normal eatinghabit of the rabbit, which is most active at dusk and dawn.Wild rabbits eat more frequently, unlike members of the dog or catfamily which gorge themselves and then may go for a long period withouteating/catching prey.

If rabbits are being fed once a day, it is advised to feed in the evening when the rabbit is most active.

Thanks for that comment, Doc.

I feed Tucker and Fauna 3 squares a day. Morning, noon, andnight. They get their correct portions, but it is rationedup. Perhaps I'll switch it to two times a day as a result ofyour statement. Missy and Calbert are fed their full portionsin the morning as per Buck's routine.

On second thought,since Tucker's used to this routine andhe's now 3, I don't think I'll mess with him. He's been onthis schedule ever since he's been 8 weeks old.

I do agree that more feedings in smaller portions does give you theopportunity to see if/when problems arise in their eatinghabits. I've noticed that with myself.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I found it very helpful.

-Carolyn

I always make sure that my buns food bowls andwater bottles are full 24/7. And always, always, ALWAYS haveplenty of hay for them. My last bunny, Angel, died of hairblockage so I'm so careful now.

Lissa wrote:
Andalways, always, ALWAYS have plenty of hay for them. My lastbunny, Angel, died of hair blockage so I'm so careful now.
I always make sure my rabbits have hay too... does this reduce the chances of hair blockage?

I always make sure my rabbits have hay too... does this reduce the chances of hair blockage?

Yes it does:

Grasshay [long-fiber] scrubes the hindgut keeping everything working inproper order. You should witness Cling-ons [Poo balls strung togetherlike strings of Pearls] This shows that the Grasshay/long-fiber isdoing it's job. sweep/brush the cling-ons from the cage-wire withintwenty-four hours to help prevent the possible spread of Coccidiosis.IMPO. you can never give a rabbit too much grasshay!

Dennis,C.V.R.

I do give my rabbits unlimitedhay, butThe Doc(Pamnock) andother breeders I know do not as they say there's enough of fiber in thefood to keep their systems functioningproperly.

The Doc has so many rabbits (150+)that feeding them hay wouldbe too messy. I trust her knowledge and advice more thananyone I've ever met, along with my own breeder that I had gotten myrabbit from.

I'm not sure unlimited amounts is necessary, but it won't hurtthem. A handful a day is said to beenough. As I said, I do give my rabbits unlimitedamounts, but with a good quality rabbit pellet, as Doc stated,it's not an absolute necessity. She certainly doesn'tadvocate against it. Your pellets should have at least 18%+of crude fiber.

-Carolyn

FriendOfTheBunnies wrote:

This theory is up for debate. Our Princess died of blockageand always had hay in front of her. The fact that she wasoverweight may havebeen a contributing factor to her healthproblem as well as a recent weather change.

In many cases, congenital nerve disorders lead to blockage in suchbreeds as the Dwarf Hotots due to the effect of certain genes on neuralcrest cell migration. This affects the migration of thepigment on the rabbit as well as the migration of nerve cells to thedigestive system.

In other cases, viruses are to blame. The virus causesslowing of the gut leading to an overpopulation of harmful bacteriawhich may prove to be fatal.

I believe that it does indeed do some good for the rabbits to have thelong indigestible fiber as part of their diet due to their morefrequent eating habits and that it's important not to leave the gutempty for long periods of time, however hay does not eliminate the riskof blockage any more than it does in a horse, which has a similardigestive system. When I worked at a stable for retiredhorses, it was not unusual for the horses to suffer GI stasis in thespring and fall months during weather changes. The vet wouldcome out, give the horses a flu shot, pain killer, appetite stimulantand "lube job" (oil enema). The horses wouldquickly bounce back and begin eating again. Left untreated,afatal case of colic and blockage could develop.

Here's an excellent articlewith info about "GI Stasis and the Hairball Myth"

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Pam

Carolyn wrote:
The Doc (Pamnock)

I have to give you some insight on someone else's view of my personality. . .

My son's friend was over for the weekend and he calls me "Phoebe" afterthe ditzy blonde on "Friends" :D So yes, I had tosing the "Smelly Cat" song for him. LOL

Pam

Dear Doc,

Did you ever see her try to sing "Smelly Cat" to Joan Jett?

Joan Jett tries singing it and Phoebe says, "No! It's notSmelly Cat: It's Smellllllllly Cat! It's a hardsong, I know."

Loved that episode.

-Carolyn

What works for one does not always work for another.

I have always given my rabbits pleanty of grasshay whether I wasfeeding 18% feed or 16% which I am now doing and have been for quitesome time. In any case. Since I have been feeding Grasshay on a regularbasis I have NEVER had another case of GI stasis/Furblock. [Knock onwood] Perhaps it's just good genetics and culling practices? I'll stickwith what has worked for me for all these years. "If it's not broke,don't fixit" you are welcome to whatever you chose to do or follow.What I posted was simply a suggestion of what I know to work. To eachjtheir own. Perhaps I just dance to a different drummer!

Dennis,C.V.R.

Carolyn wrote:
Dear Doc,

Did you ever see her try to sing "Smelly Cat" to Joan Jett?

Joan Jett tries singing it and Phoebe says, "No! It's notSmelly Cat: It's Smellllllllly Cat! It's a hardsong, I know."

Loved that episode.

-Carolyn

Totally Awesome episode! LOL

Pam

Loved the Smelly Cat episode! Fantastic!

We feed Henry exactly what it says on the pellet food label.80-100 grams of pellet food per day. It's kept in a plasticcontainer and we top up his bowl with it 3 times a day. He'susually eaten all of his feed by the next time he's duefor afill up. He eats it all and has access to unlimited hay, Ijust chuck some in when it runs out. He also gets somecabbage and occasional carrots and peanuts as treats. I triedto give him a yoghurt drop but he doesn't like them. Hedoesn't like anything sweet, fruit, treats, the lot! Herefuses it.

Latest posts

Back