How much food should you give baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

India

Reaction score
My babies are now 3 weeks old, and they arestarting to eat solid food. I am giving them pellets, that are designedfor baby rabbits and lactating does. (EXCEL)

How much food should I give them. And is it okay to give them carrots,and greens, or shouldshould they just have pellets.

You can give them as much hay and pellets asthey want. Don't feed them any greens until they are 6 monthsold. Some people say that you can give them the greens if themother was eating them when she was nursing them. I justdon't. They could develop diarrea (sp). I justdon't want to take that chance.

Sharon

When you do start introducing greens into theirdiet (once they are old enough), do so one at a time over a period of afew weeks. That way if any of them have a reaction to a certain food(runny poops, etc.) you will know which one is the culprit and caneliminate it from their diet.

I've heard that the recommended hay to feed to growing babies isalfalfa, as the calcium content is higher and will help them tomaintain weight.

I feed my doe while she's nursing grass. Is itok? The babies are always fine and we start feeding them grass at about8 weeks old and they're fine. We introduce it to them slowly and beforethey go to new homes.

I always give unlimited pellets and hay (either timothy or alfalfa).

For veggies, if mom gets them, then the babies will steal a little bit and I just monitor for an upset tummies for giving again.

--Dawn

I don't give unlimited feed - but I do give alot. I figure they're growing and they can use it. I'll giveX scoops (1 per baby) and then later if I see the bowl is empty I mayadd a bit more.

I definitely give lots of hay....

Peg

aurora369 wrote:
I always give unlimited pellets and hay (either timothy or alfalfa).

For veggies, if mom gets them, then the babies will steal a little bit and I just monitor for an upset tummies for giving again.

--Dawn

I always give my mommy buns their carrots andbroccoli when they are feeding and even sometimes to get a reluctantmum to nurse as it takes their mind off whats happening. i have foundwhen the babies are weaning it seems to be a fight on a morning as mumand baby share the veg and i have never had a poopy butt yet when itake them away from their mums i still give the veg but much less thani give the mum.

Ialways give plenty of hay and burgess supergrass but i limit thepellets and i use the same ones as you they learn very early to begreedy!

When does have been fed greens/vegetables, the kits will have no problems adjusting to a diet of greens.

However, introducing large amounts of greens to rabbits that have neverhad them can prove to be fatal - always make diet changes in moderation.

Pam

Latest posts

Back