How long between litters?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I have posted about my possible pregnancy from adoe that had a litter on the 5th december last year, and someone i knowis concerned that another pregnancy now is too soon but it isn't is it?It will be 20 weeks between the 2 births so that isn't bad for herhealth is it?

Hon - she's fine!

Breeders (not me) will often rebreed a rabbit when the litter is 4weeks old or 6 weeks old (yes - I'm talking about pet breeders and notjust meat breeders).

I like my does to have 3 litters a year. I'm told I don't breed my does often enough - but I don't want to burn them out.

Your doe will be just fine.

Peg

grumpybabies wrote:
I have posted about mypossible pregnancy from a doe that had a litter on the 5th decemberlast year, and someone i know is concerned that another pregnancy nowis too soon but it isn't is it? It will be 20 weeks between the 2births so that isn't bad for her health is it?

First of all, I'm saying this both for your sake - and the sake of anyone else reading this.

You are what I look for in a new breeder. Here is what I've seen you do (after you had an accidental breeding).

a. Ask for questions & get help even before delivery

b. Take good care of the mama during the pregnancy and delivery and whiel she had her kits

c. Separate the kits from mama at an appropriate age

d. Have the kits sexed by someone who can tell them apartwhile they were young enough to not get each other or mom pregnant

e. Continued to read and learn

f. Contacted breeders (other than me) with some breed-specific questions.

Now....more pics of the babies in your blog soon????

Seriously though - you're doing great and your doe will probably befine and know more this time about what she's doing as she gets closeto delivery.

Peg

How long is 20 weeks? I usually only have 2-3litters a year. but this year only two and from seperate does. Iusually wait up to the kits are weaned and then another month or two;sometimes even three. It all depends on the weather and when my momsays its ok. (I know kinda wierd!)

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
How long is 20 weeks? I usually only have 2-3 litters ayear. but this year only two and from seperate does. I usually wait upto the kits are weaned and then another month or two; sometimes eventhree. It all depends on the weather and when my mom says its ok. (Iknow kinda wierd!)
My rabbits are at my parent's house so space is limited. Ibreed only when I have enough empty cages to wean them. It isnot weird that you have to have your mom's permission. Justmake sure you (and your rabbits) stay on your mom's good side.;)

Sharon

I think mum weaned quite early so this litterwill be born about 4 months after they were weaned, so this isequivalent to having less than three litters a year so that's good!

Latest posts

Back