How Do You Start Bunny Bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookieKing

Reaction score
I wanted to bond my bunnies so that they can live in the same cage but I've never done this before so I need some advice please. I let them meet each other last night and our new bunny Mitsuki started humping Kookie so I separated them again pretty fast before a fight started. Kookie is an un-neutered male around 2.5 years and Mitsuki is 1 year and 8 months and is spayed. Is this behavior normal for her to hump him, I thought it would be the other way around. Thing is Mitsuki is twice Kookie's size, is she just showing dominance or is this a bad sign? What other signs should I look out for, good or bad? Thanks for your help.

I would just say that Mitsuki is coming out of the gate swinging. It seems that she wants to run the house. And if she has a size advantage that wont be hard.
When i bonded my Trix with Chip and Pinky, he was half their size and was immedialtly submissive. I think they just know they are beat.

I noticed once they start circling around that is when a fight is going to break out and you should stop that quickly or someone is going to loose some hair.

The humping is completely normal because he is still a bag of hormones. Chances are that could be the downfall and she would get tired of being constantly harassed by him.

Is getting him neutered a possibility?

If you choose to carry on, it needs to be done on a neutral area of territory. Also, moutning, chasing, nipping, etc, are all normal behaviours and should only be stopped if it looks like a fight is imminent (or obviously already happening). Hok is right about circling, that does often, but not always, lead to fights and it is worth diverting them away from that.

There is a bonding article in the Bunny 101 forum which might be worth checking out :)

Thanks for the advice, I will check that article out. I am planing on getting Kookie neutered but my vet wants over $300 for it to be done, which is ridiculously expensive for what it is. I'm trying to find somewhere cheaper, but until then I'm saving so hopefully it can be done soon.

I see the stumbling block. It might be worth just allowing them supervised playtime together and seeing if that works. I would never leave her alone with him because she could easily turn. It would be like a woman being completely harassed all the time by a guy who didn't understand no.

I wouldn't look to bond them until he is neutered and his hormones have eased somewhat though, to be honest.

Flashy wrote:
I see the stumbling block. It might be worth just allowing them supervised playtime together and seeing if that works. I would never leave her alone with him because she could easily turn. It would be like a woman being completely harassed all the time by a guy who didn't understand no.

I wouldn't look to bond them until he is neutered and his hormones have eased somewhat though, to be honest.

I totally agree with Flashy! You may encounter major fights if you try to bond without the neuter to be honest.So, just supervise until you can get it done. After that, just remember this:

Fightsare very scary, aren't they Flashy?!:shock: So, good for you on this plan!:) Just remember to read up on bonding, it can be so tough, even with both fixed, best of luck to you though, keep us posted.:)

Latest posts

Back