How do you clip nails on the back feet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
Okay, guys, I told you in another thread thatafter reading the experiences of one of our members that I wasmotivated to try and clip Sherman's nails myself. I clippedthe front nails successfully.

My question is this: How do I position him so that I can cliphis back nails without him fighting me and trying to hopaway. I tried again a few minutes ago while I was on breakand he fought me so that I fell into his cage, denting it, and my kneefell directly on one of the clips that's on his door, and now I can'twalk ... :X. I tell you, if bunnies could getspankings ....

Well, anywho, anyone have any suggestions? I just placed himon a towel on top of a storage bin and clipped the frontnails. I was reasonably able to control him despite hisfighting, but I just can't get him positioned for his backfeet. In fact, he "locks them down" when I try to pull themout.

Well, there are a couple of methods.

1. have someone hold him in the front with a towel over hishead and body while you bring his foot gently backwards to clip theback nails.

2. Lay him on his back and even if trancing doesn't work, hold him and have someone else clip his nails or visa versa.

3. The vet can do it. LOL

The way I trim nails *so far* has beensuccessful for me and not at all traumatic for the bunny.... or you forthat matter...lol.

Some rabbits need somecoaxingandpatience before they get the idea and relax enough to do this... Whilesitting in a chair,lay the rabbitin the creaseofmy legs tummy up.Slowly pull thier headbackplacing their ears between your knees. Gentlyhold thier earsbetween your knees (by this time the rabbitshould be relaxed). All four legs will be sticking up saying"clip away" -

The nice thing about doing it this way is the both of youare totally relaxed and calm and if anything happens while clipping(accidently cut the Quick, doorbell/phone rings, dog barks, kids run upscreaming "Awe, look at the bunny!", etc.) the rabbit is free to get upat any time if startled.

Many attempts may need to be made first off, but once therabbit knows it's time to relax & chill while getting a"pet-icure" he will be thankful.

~Sunshine

Understand that trancing is, perhaps, not doingit, so...towel on table, at the edge. Sherman on his back onthe towel. You...sitting at table with suitably durable clothing, suchas heavy duty, long sleeved, old sweatshirt.

Grasp clippers with appropriate hand. Take other arm andplace it over Sherman, cradling his face in your arm pit, so to speak,and placing your upper arm and forearm alongside and sort of on top ofhis upturned body. Press him down on the table and towardyour body simultaneously, in order to limit his movements.

Now, you should be able to grasp his rear foot with the handof the arm that is alongside and cradling him in order to select a toeto manicure. If necessary, grasp both feet and hold themtightly together to furtherlimit movement.Hopefully, you will still be able to use a finger or two to grasp a toefor clipping.

Slide nail into clipper until the blade lays on the "quick" line, thenback off of a bit to cut above it. Sunlight or a strong lighthelps if it is held behind the nail. Even dark nails willhave a different opacity where the quick ends and dead nail tissuebegins. The quick area has more of a "redness" look to it, inmy estimation, especially in front of a strong light source, because ofblood flow within the nail.

Another way to approach it is to take tiny nips at the end ofthenail until you start to see the quick appearing at themanicured end. Not so easy to do if you have a"fighter"to deal with, so it may not be the best techniquefor you right now..

Part of the key to nail cutting is taking charge and being forceful andadamant about it. I believe buns can sense any hesitancy orfear on our part and it is transferred to them and they act itout. If you're strong and confident, the bun is more apt toacquiesce quietly, if not quite willingly.

Hope that provides you with some help.

Buck

Buck Jones snips those rabbits nails, 1 - 2 - 3. He amazes me. I love it when he comes and cuts the herd's nails.

When Cali starts kicking me, no matter what, I reposition her, and get back to work.

Tucker has gotten to the point where once I flip him on his back, hejust takes it and gets it over with. (And you know Tucker! He's NotEasy!) It took a while of him fighting me for him to finally smarten upand realize, this Is getting done when I say it's time. The more hefights it, the longer it takes.

I don't usually use a table, but I should try. What works for me is ifI hold them just like a baby, and I have their head angled so that it'slower than their feet as I cradle them.

When you make up your mind to do his nails, no matter what, don't giveinto the fighting, get control back and if he gets lose, catch him andstart over again. They'll fight at first, but if you give in, it'sgoing to make it that much harder the next time.

Don't be afraid to hold him tight.

You can do it.

:)

-Carolyn

Thanks so much, EVERYONE, for all of this wonderful advice!!

I ended up using a combination of everything that you said.He was determined, but I was MORE determined ... and can you believeit? I got him tranced for the first time. I stilldon't know how I didit. OnceI FINALLY got him under, holding himin a combination of whatBuck, SunnyBunny, and Carolyn suggested, the nails were a piece ofcake.

I had to be really, REALLY firm though as Carolyn suggested to even get him on his back.

Thanks so much. This is another expense that I can take offof my list now that I can do it myself.:dude:

This is a great topic for the magazine I think.

I had just asked about or talked about trying to do Bo's nails aswell. I used a combo of things suggested, but I think I amgoing to try the lap trance thing next time!

Good job! glad you were able to somehow get it done! lol

Bo Bunny,

This subject has been in the Magazine a few times....and it is in the current issue. :)

BunnyMommy! YAY!!

Good For You!! I think that might've been one of the firsttimes that I've heard that you intimidated him instead of viceversa. I'm so proud of you! You didn't give up anddidn't give in and it paid off.

Pat yourself on the back. You deserveit.

-Carolyn

Those thumper nails are such a pain, aren'tthey? I still haven't mastered how to do it without somebunnygetting really angry with me. Lenci is usually a piece ofcake. Iszy is the fighter. I have to be prettyaggressive with her in order to get the job done. Laying herbetween my legs on the floor, holding her ears back (gently) with onehand, and trimming carefully with the other. So far thisprocedure works.

Only 13, never cut my bunnies nails before. Iwould never try cutting Summers's nails... I'd lose BIG time against my15 pound rabbit. :D

I have a really easy way:Try holding your bunny like he is stinky. Put your arms under thebunny's arms and then support their bottom. And another person can cutthe back nails. The way you hold him is like you hold ababylooking away from you. I just figured out today and its reallyeasy.

*nepo* wrote:
I have a really easy way: Try holdingyour bunny like he is stinky. Put your arms under the bunny's arms andthen support their bottom. And another person can cut the back nails.The way you hold him is like you hold ababy looking away fromyou. I just figured out today and its really easy.

Oh, never tried that before. :D

Nail cutting stresses me out! Winston's nails areso dark that I can't see where the quick is, so I'm terrified ofdrawing blood. I have a weak stomach too, which doesn't help. Ew.Anyway, I've cut rattie nails before, and I've cut past the quick byaccident and felt sooo bad.

Another question...Winston's back nails are so thick! I'm afraid thatclipping them would split the nail, making a big problem. Has this everhappened to anyone?

Thanks!

LOL I love holding Bo like that.... he always puts his ears way down and he looks so mean LOL!

Back