How do I handle this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpers_Mom

Reaction score
Thumper got neutered 5 weeks ago. He was doing sooo well with the potty training. I had to remove a rug that he just LOVED to go on and he usually goes in his litter boxes. He has two.

Well, two weekends ago, he started to pee on the couch and this weekend was AWFUL! :pullhair:He must have pee'd on the couch at least 6 or 7 times! He still goes in his litter boxes and doesn't pee on the floor (ok, he did that only once a week ago) but it seems he just wants to go straight up to the couch and relieve himself.

I know that he was supposed to start off with a small space and then gradually be given more space so I think I might have started him out with too much space? :ponder:He has the run of the living and dining rooms. Should I start confining him to a pen area? I just feel sooo bad not letting him run around but I truly want him to stop going on the couch. :sigh:

Any suggestions?

I know some people will put an inexpensive show curtain liner on their couch or one of those vinyl tablecloths you can get for holidays.

I would spray it with something to discourage him from going near it.

Also once they have scented it they always want to go back, its hard to totally get rid of the smell the best way is to mix some biological washing powder with warm water give it a good clean then wash back over with warm clean water. That should get rid of any hint of the smell then you just needto teach him not to do it again, but at least it won't smell like his potty to him anymore. (sorry i am not saying you have a smelly couch just that buns have exceptional sese of smell:))

Polly here's the million dollar question, what is biological washing powder?:foreheadsmack:

Thanks

Susan:huh

:ponder: Hmmm, I must say, I am too stumped on this biological washing powder.

Thx for the responses. Surprisingly, my couches don't smell, at least not to us humans. :shock: I am def. going to wash it and probably cover it.

So does anyone think I should limit his space or should I just direct his attention away from the couch by doing the above and being EXTRA vigilant and making sure he doesn't get on? I want him to be a happy bun but I want to be happy too. :sigh:

um sorry :)its washing powder with enzymes in it.

Over here we get biological and non biological.

I use non bio as in my family we suffer from itchy skin from the enzymes in the biological stuff.

the enzymes sort of eat the dirt off your washing. I think thats the easiest way to explain it:?

Why don't you re-litter train him. Like confine him to a small place until he always goes in the litterbox and gradually make it bigger until he can be free ranged again.

How often are you changing the litterbox? Because I know Macey won't use it if she thinks it's too full.

Ihave to agree with Montana. I had this problem many times with mine on the carpet, couch, bed.. even though I properly litter box trained him. Once he peed somewhere, even AFTER I thoroughly cleaned it, he would do it again and again if he played on the spot and smelled it. What did the trick for me was confining him to a "safe play area" for quite a while until he forgot about his new potty place and sprayed the pee zones with "pet urine de-oderizer/remover" very thoroughly which I bought on amazon.com.

I still have to be careful with how long he's playing away from his litter box, tho. Esp when he can't get to his box, aka, playing on bed or couch, he gets potty breaks even 15 min just in case! :nonono: :biggrin2:

I've always wondered how people get the bunnies to go to the litterbox exclusively. I can let BO out and he might pee in his box but he's more likely to find a blanket, bag, rug, or nice place on the floor JUST IN HIS PLAY AREA! I can't imagine letting him run loose!

Poo is a whole different catagory! We find them all over! I found one in the bathroom the other day - and bunnies don't go in there. :?

Latest posts

Back