How Cold and In-Out question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
Dumb question but... How cold is too cold for a bunny? I know they can withstand some cooler temperatures well if given hay and all but I am sure they must have a limit as to what is safe?

Also, on the days that it would be too cold, would it be a problem to bring her back into the house where it is warm? I mean doing the in/out thing must not be exactly great either?

:?

I thought I knew things but I second guess everything so I would rather just start fresh with better info and go from there, so I'm sorry if I seem to be asking basic questions again :rose:

There is a "too cold", like with humans. But I'm not sure what it is, it would have to be pretty low. Rabbits develop thick winter coats and can be perfectly fine outside all winter if they're kept away from drafts and kept dry. In fact, they tolerate the cold MUCH better than hot weather. Unlike heat stroke, where just the weather alone can cause illness or death, rabbits don't generally just freeze in the middle of winter. The problems come in when the rabbit gets wet and then cold...so you'd want to keep it off the ground and out of the snow. But in a dry enclosed hutch with plenty of hay to snuggle in, rabbits are perfectly happy. Mine are more active in the winter actually than the summer.

You're right though, fluctuating temperature changes can really get them too. So it's best to keep a pretty constant temperature. Maybe a garage or something would be a better place to keep your rabbit (if not in the house) so that you can also bring it in to play.

Yes, I was considering moving her to the entrance if ever my asthma acts up. I would block off her hutch/cage so she wouldn't feel any drafts as I open the door. The thing is that since it's not part of the house, it's not as warm, though it is warmer than outside. However, being in Montreal means that we get pretty cold temperatures which is why i was wondering what would be considered too cold =/ Good point about bunnies not getting wet though... I would have to make sure to give her a water bottle so she doesn't flip her bowl on herself like she did this week :p

My outdoor rabbits stay outdoors all winter but the lowest night temperature was 10F or around -10C. It only happened once or twice last winter. Most the time it don't stay below freezing more than 24 hours.

If water don't freeze in the entrance you have nothing to worry about. If it routinely goes below -10C you might try other alternatives.

If you think you might move her there you might as well do it now for the whole winter. That way she'll get used to the lower temperatures and get thicker fur. Not a good idea to do it in the middle of winter.

If your rabbits used to being outside they'll get used to the lower temps and the body adjusts to that. If your from a colder climate then your summers are colder as well and thus less dramatic for them in your winter.

If your summers are awful hot then your winter will be less dramatic.

You just cant take an indoor bun and toss it outside...or an indoor bun and toss it inside for the winter.

Thank you everyone for the tips. Finally, I am not wheezing since I have been using the other litter so I have built her a NIC cage and she will be staying right where she is :bunnydance:I think that works out for everyone. Hihi.

Latest posts

Back