How can one make a rabbit "forget" where it "went"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandaran

Reaction score
I let Hanna run around in my room, but she's grown to pottying in a certain corner. I've been having to put towels down (she'll use the litter box if I put it down there for her, but also a foot radius around it...). Is there a way I can get rid of her waste scent (so she doesn't keep going there)? Blocking it off isn't an option.

I heard something about vinegar?

ps: When she's out she has the option of hopping back to her cage at will, and she does do that some of the time to potty.

when my guys would have an accident on the floor what i do is, soak up the urine, then i put water on the spot and soak that up, then i put vinegar on the spot, or vinegar and water mix and then soak it up and let it dry, usually if it is a spot that they have gone at before and it seems that they are continuasly going in the same spot i would try maybe straight vinegar. i usually have good success with this

vinegar usually does a good job. Wipe down with water afterward to remove the vinegar smell.

I don't know about bunnies, but this works well for our dogs/cats when they have an occasional accident: Rural King sells a product called Skunk Odor Remover in a white bottle with a red top; it's also for pet stains. It's a natural-enzyme thing and when there's a mess, you just blot up what you can and then douse it with this stuff, then let it dry. The natural enzymes supposedly eat up the mess. I know it helps keep it from staining and the dogs/cats don't seem to try to use the same spot, and it keeps it from smelling...just thought I'd throw that in there in case it helps :)

Ah but unfortunately here you can't get American products like that.

And it's on wall-to-wall carpet, so I can't just whipe it up-But will blotting get the smell of vinegar out?

If you are worried about the smell of vinegar i would clean it how ever you are going to clean it with , whether it be a 50/50 mix or straight vinegar, and then after blotting it up put water on it and blott it up and then maybe water it again and then blot. I would think that that would take the smell out, i have to say the way i do it i dont normally smell the vinegar. i think with putting water on it then blotting out the water you take out the vinegar. This s houldnt be too much of a problem cause bunny pee spots should be fairly smaller then say that spot of a dog.

I use vinegar all the time on bunny spots and i dont smell vinegar on my rugs

You could also use vinegar, then spray hydrogenperoxide (H2O2) on it. The peroxide will react with the vinegar, and the stuff left after the vinegar reacts with the pee.
That will take out the smell, and clean even better, because the "waste products" left after the vinegar/pee are taken out too.

Of course, taking out the vinegar smell completely could be a bad idea, in case it's the vinegar smell that stops the bunnies from using that same spot again.

Latest posts

Back