Housing indoors beside a guinea pig.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiledreamlove

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm somewhat new to rabbits, we have two rescue bunnies outside that don't like people due to their bad past, and barely tolerate us when we clip their feet - after it takes us up to 30mins to catch them. We've tried handling them every day, they try to take us out with their mouths or feet :( They are checked daily and seem to enjoy their life outdoors, so long as we don't annoy them too much.

However, I've decided to get a pet rabbit for myself. I pick her up next week, she's a baby rabbit and will be namely an indoor rabbit.

My question is, my guinea pig (due to losing her friend a few weeks ago) now lives indoors in my bedroom also. It's not so much a matter of space (have spent the afternoon planning a suitable cage for the rabbit by looking at designs here) but more so wondering if two cages were positioned side by side, if that's going to be a problem?They both have hutches outdoors as well that they will get the opportunity to eat grass in on warmer days and obviously in spring and summer. I'm just concerned on the colder months.

I know rabbits and guineas shouldn't be housed together and I will not be doing this. My guinea pig is incredibly special to me (she is what got me through 8months of rehab from shattering my leg) so I wouldn't even dream of putting her in with an animal that will get bigger than her - even if it was common practice to!

And also, despite being checked by a vet, and clearing the check, will I need to keep them in separate rooms for a month before introducing them?

Just thought I'd check before picking her up. I fell in love with her and have already spent $$ getting her vet checked, but I don't want to get her and then have an issue with cages being side by side!

Thanks!

I don't think there would be any issues with housing them next to each other. I would leave an inch or so between cages so that they can't bite each others noses, but otherwise they'll be fine. They might like having the company of another animal close by.

Latest posts

Back