Horrible Accident

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarGlider

Reaction score
It was my fault and it happened early tuesday evening.

I was putting the babies in a blanket beside me to change the beddingin the container I was keeping them in. My daughter walked inand stepped on the blanket... on one of the babies. The babyscreamed for about two minutes then was thrashing about.

We were getting ready to go pick up Livingston so we took the baby tosee the vet. She did a bunch of x-rays and found no brokenbones. The baby's heartrate and lungs sounded good.She thought perhaps her nose cartilage was broken because a smallamount of blood came from her nose.

We decided to bring her home and see what happened. She wasable to nurse so I was encouraged. I quickly realized thatthe baby is more damaged than we thought. The following is avideo of her and her brothers and sisters... I'm sure anyone will beable to pick which is the broken baby.

Left to Right - Apple, Razzle, Sweetie, and Pecan

DSC00008-2.jpg

I was keeping the babies with me because two were injured in the cagesome how. Since I wasn't able to convince mama to use anestbox I thought it'd be best. She is feeding them every daywhen I take them to her.

I feel so horrible. Everything seems to be going wrong with these babies and it's all my fault.

Thanks for listening.

Unfortunatly, that's the way it seems to go with babies.

You always remember the ones that didn't make it or that where injured,almost more than the ones that where perfectly healthy. Yourheart and soul goes into the little guys, just to have something gowrong.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. You did the right thing bytaking the babies out, and keeping them safe in a box. Does mom feedthem in the that box? Maybe she'll accept the box now, if sheis.

The only thing you can do, is ensure the baby is feeding, and that it doesn't seem in pain.

I find that as soon as a baby loses interest in feeding, it's generallygone within 24 hours. So as long as it's feeding, there'sstill hope.

If the baby is un able to nurse but is showing interest, you can try to hand feed a little bit till it gets a bit healther.

Good luck, and I hope he turns out okay.

--Dawn

Oh no! So sorry, what a tragic thingto have happen, your daughter must feel awful as well, but these thingshappen. It's just an accident.

I'm no expert on these injuries, but bunnies do seem to get head tilt(which is what this looks like) at the drop of a hat.He could be acting like that because his balance isoff or his head isjust sore. It's important to keephim calm and not rolling, so he doesn't panic and/or give up.Can you keep them in a well buffered, really small area fornow? He still should be with his siblings, that should becalming, but not given much room to roll or panic. If he'sstill nursing, that's great, really have to keep that appetite up.

Please let us know how he's progressing.

And don't beat yourself up over it. I'd bet we've all had experiences like this.

:hug1

sas

Thank you both.

The baby (I call it *she* but I dunno which it is) is kept prettyquiet. I hold her a while every few hours... she seems toenjoy being cuddled in my hands, perhaps because I help hold herhead. She sometimes sleeps flat on her side (scared me thefirst time I saw her like that) and sometimes with theothers. I try to help her settle in gentle like when I puther back. I will try hard to keep her as quiet as possible.

As for nursing she absolutely had NO problem with that. I putthe babies in with mom to feed and she got a fat belly just as fast asthe rest with very little help from me. I was really excitedabout that.

Dawn you are right... I made some extra effort to cuddle the rest ofthe little ones today when I realized I was spending so much time withApple. They are all so sweet and soft and I love them all somuch.

I feel she has a good chance to survive now. I do hope thatage and strength will help, so it'll be a wait and seesituation.

Thank you again.

Aww, poor baby, I'm glad she's still nursing,that's a great sign! Your babies are so adorable:bunnyheart Make themost of your time with them so small, it'll be over in aflash.:rollseyes Keep us posted on how she is:)

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

Sometimes things like this happen. I hadsomething like this happen - but to an older bunny. I had a young buckI adored - he was between 6 and 8 weeks old. He literally climbed upthe NIC gate to get to the top of cages and hop into the living roomsometimes.

I was feeding and stepping back into the living room and I stepped onhis head. (I didn't put all of my weight on him). As soon as I heardhim scream I backed off.

Art came home and I was crying hysterically. I'd called him "Peter Parker" and "Spidey" because of his climbing ability.

He had blood coming out of his nose (not much) and a bit around his eyes.

I am not one to put an animal down if I can help it - but when Art camehome I begged him to put Spidey down. (It was almost midnight and thenearest rabbit savy vet is over an hour away).

Bless my husband's heart...he refused. He said, "Let's give him time."

I think of that almost every night now when I go to Spidey's cage andfeed him. He recovered and is fine. He may not have quite the sameperky personality he had then (but then again - maybe it is just 'causehe was getting older).

But he is so adorable and funny - and I'm so glad my husband insisted we give him a chance.

I'll be praying for your baby to recover.

Peg

Oh no! Like others said, it was just an accidentand accidents happen. I'm so sorry that happened to you and I will bepraying for him to have a full and speedy recovery.

Accidents do happen and they are so easy to hurt when they are little.

When Dodge had her first litter I was moving the hutch around for themall to get fresh grass. The babies were about 3-4 weeks old and reallyactive. I lifted up one end of the hutch and dragged it a bit (theywere all in the nesting box at the time, even the mama rabbit) andplonked it down. Stood up, stretched a bit and watched a cute bird onthe lawn...walked around the hutch and screamed my head off! One babyhad someone found a hole in the mesh and stuck it's head through andit's head was under the hutch, under the wooden next area part. Mooshedtotally I would have thought. I'm screaming and crying that I killedone of the babies but I get it out and look at it - holy cow it's stillalive but not looking good.

I bring him inside and put him on my bed inbetween two pillows and tellhim I love him (yeah, corny I know, was my first litter). He just satthere with his eyes closed hardly breathing for about 30 minutes. Thenhe all of a sudden gets up and runs around and binkies! I was soshocked! I kept him inside overnight anyway, let him feed from Dodgealone around 11pm. He seemed ok after that. I know he was a bit sorebecuase he screamed once the next day when I picked him up but he wasok after that.

I really hope your little baby makes it, they are so gorgeous. Hopefully he's so young that he can make a full recovery.

If there was some sort of slight internal organdamage you may not see the effects until later on. Mom may walk onthose kits everytime she feeds them and they are still okay, Kits canbe pretty tough little guys. A while back I had a litter of mini lopsand mom accidently scratched the belly of one kit pretty good. It was ablack kit so I wanted to try to prevent a white spot from growing soevery day I put ointment on it. Well one time I was carrying it in thehouse and it was so use to being held that it would just lay on itsback in my palm, well all of the sudden it sort of just popped up andright out of my hand and landed on the cementfloor. It washard enough to for me to hear a sort of smack as it hit the floor even.:(And it had to of fallen at least 4 1/2 feet from where Iwas holding it. Well sure enough I picked it up and he was just fine,he even one a few BOB's as an adult. So don't beat yourself up aboutit, accidents like that happen to every breeders.

Julia

I don't blame you. I don't think it was yourfault. Youd' never intentionally hurt the babies. ITs just anotherlearning experience. I've had my fair share, I assure you. Dutchies,too! I've also had my share of tradgedies.

My first litter of blue dutchies....the mummy had 7 and I was sooooexcited. The runt died the next day, which is to be expected sometimesbut I will still thankful I had the other 6 with good markings and goodhealth. Then they just dropped like flies. She was the worst mom ever.I was finalyl downto 3. And they were a week old,I thought they'd beok. But my brother was getting high and stupid and left the basementdoor open one night and one of the babies froze.

When the babies were 2 weeks old, the mother took one of the babies andbit off half of oen foot and 3 toes off the other side. I consideredputting him down but, he seemed alright otherwise. And grew up fat andhealthy. He even hopped and got around just dandy.

At 4 weeks old, I figured y'know...we're in the clear. Babies wereobviously being fed and nibbling at pellets and water and lookin' good.I was super excited about the one, he was goign to be an awesome littleshow rabbit and I couldn't wait to take him to the next show. I walk into feed them one day and awesome bunny is sitting there with half anear. And I was like WAAHHHH!!!!! WTF HAPPeneD HERE?! And Ipicked him up to examine him and....he was stiff. Dead. Eye open in asitting position. Its like....he just.....stopped. Weird.

So after all that...I had one baby with half a foot and one toe ( whichhe used to scratch his nose....it was so cute...). I named himCheeseburger. Because he reminded me of ground meat. I gave him to alittle girl. She spoiled him. So it wasn't a major loss.

*Caution, Graphic description*
I just had 2 litters of dutchies and 2 of frenchies. In the one frenchlop litter....when I found them....4 babies were tucked safely int henest...and there was one she drug out into the cage and ate the arm andshoulder off of. He was still squirming and obviously not...happy. Ididn't know what to do. I cried and cried. I knew I should put him outof his misery but I couldn't afford an emergency vet visit and I gotsick at the thought of doing it myself and I cursed myself for my weakstomach and nerves and I just hopped around like a pigeon on a hot roofin a panic and finally he died and I felt awful awful awful for daysand days.

*ok no more graphic ness*

Then in my other french lop litter.....2 babies crawled out of the nest and froze.

And in the one dutch litter....she had 4....and randomly stoppedfeeding them and one of my favorites died. He was a charlie but he hadthese perfectly identical white triangles on the inside middle of hisears...looked like old man ear hair. I called him the old manbunny. So I got mad at the mother and took her babies off ofher and gave her to my awesome bunny, Artemis. One of the blue onesfrom that litter died a few days ago. But she's been taking very verygood care of the remainging blue and black, in addition to her own 4babies. The little blu and black and starting to get fat finally.

Soemtimes, there's just nothing you can do....but learn.It'll be ok. Even a bunny with half a foot has a place in the world.

minilops wrote:
He just sat there with his eyes closed hardly breathing for about 30minutes. Then he all of a sudden gets up and runs around and binkies!

This made me chuckle. I think of the movie Micheal....with JohnTravolta....when he brings the jack russel doggie back to life. Doggets hit by a freakin' semi and Micheal holds him and then doggy islike '' IM OK! I WANT TO RUN AROUND LIKE A MORON!''

SugarGlider wrote:
As for nursing she absolutely had NO problem with that. I putthe babies in with mom to feed and she got a fat belly just as fast asthe rest with very little help from me. I was really excitedabout that.

Even when i'm uber upset....if someone offers me a cookie or somethingtasty...I forget I hurt. I mean....who can feel bad when there's food?

-JAK

So sorry guys!! I was updating in their blog :)

The baby is doing so much better!! She's gone from unable towalk at all to running and playing with the rest of the babies:) She's at least 75% back to normal. She DOES runinto stuff once in a while but not often. I'll get a videoand post it soon!!

Thank you all for your concern and stories... those made me feel so much better!!

She looks wonderful, what a bunch of cutie pies! :inlove:

Latest posts

Back