Horny Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 males too that also do the same thing.One is a little young for that but the other is always "showing whosboss!" Copper is only about 3 months old. Leo is about 8 months oldthough and feels nobody should ever get pets, treats, or more attentionthen HIM!

Conman call your localaspca and see if they offerspay/neuter vouchers , some dosome dont but it doesnt hurt toask , It wont pay all the expense butit does help withsome of it . Most aspca ,humane societies etc will gladly offerthem , just mostpeople dont think to ask fora rbbit .

samandshawn wrote:
LOL. I have two un-neutered males and they live togetherthey take in turns. lol
:D AHAHAHAHA!! Myfemale mounts/mates my male. He just sits there with his headdown and lets her. :shock:

Kricket wrote:
samandshawn wrote:
LOL. Ihave two un-neutered males and they live together they take in turns.lol
:D AHAHAHAHA!! My female mounts/mates mymale. He just sits there with his head down and letsher. :shock:
I had that happen to me before I realizethat one was a boy. But it broke his confidence. It took me months toget him to mate something (he was used for breeding for a bit at abreeders down the street) (they were looking for males). He was scaredthat if he got on top he would get bitten and other stuff.

I have a 1 yr. old Flemish Giant "Thunder"....never had such a horney bunny as him! He too has a stuffed bunny that he thumps all of the time! I had to get him something, so he would quit humping my throw pillows. Yes, sometimes it's hilarious, with the throw pillows he would actually fall onto the floor hanging onto one, lol. Anyway, many times when he is not satisfied with his stuffed girlfriend - he figures he will give me a try, lol. Sometimes I spray him with water, that works alot of times; if nothing else, I at least get a break while he's busy grooming himself from getting wet. I've also shut him in the spare room with the stuffed bunny, leave him in there an hour, sometimes longer, when I let him out, if he's not calmed down, he stays in there longer. Thunder knows this system quite well now. Other times when he sniffs and nibbles at my leg, if I just tell him to "calm down" and pet him, he will lay down at my feet. Which, I've had to do a couple of times while sitting here, he was doing his circling thing, then sniffing my leg. I can't get him fixed right now, so, it's quite challenging!!! I just read that rubbing lavender oil on a rabbits back is supposed to help - so I'll be getting some!
The only other thing that I can say to help others with this problem is, careful what you feed your bunny. I've noticed that certain things that he eats makes him much worse! Parsley and clover especially! Believe it or not, sometimes a few chocolate chips, calms him down. I guess he gets some sort of fix from it, has a sugar crash, lol.
I think that those of us, like myself, who have litter trained rabbits, and only one, may have it worse - since we are their only entertainment! Thunder does not go for being caged, sometimes I put him in a small dog pen, to discipline him. Overall, single bunny owners, well, we need to spend more time petting them, seems to help calm him down.
I let Thunder outside sometimes ( he always comes back within about an hour), that makes a big difference!!! One day when he came back to the door, the neighbors cat was all stretched out on the porch...lol, that cat seemed really relaxed, FUNNY. I wish that I felt comfortable to let him out more often, because that calms down his hormones more than anything. The reason that I don't let him out more; worry about fleas, mites, he won't let me put a collar on him.
Well, good luck to everyone with a horney bunny, especially a buck that is used to "run of the house".

Neutering will make the most difference for this hormonal behavior. If you plan on getting it done at some point, you won't want to wait too long, as some behaviors can somtimes become ingrained, and even a neuter may not completely fix it if you wait too long.

Just fyi, if you are talking about the flea collars, you definitely don't want to use one on your rabbit. They aren't safe for rabbits. Collars can be dangerous if your rabbit gets a foot caught in it, and there are only certain antiparasitics that can even be used safely on rabbits. Certain ones are extremely toxic to rabbits and can be fatal. So, if you find yourself having to treat him for fleas or mites at some point, make sure to use only the ones that are safe for rabbits. Frontline(fipronil) is extremely toxic, and permethrins and pyrethrins can also sometimes cause toxic reactions.

Good luck with him! He sounds like a handful :)

Thank you so much for the information. I surely appreciate that, was not aware about most flea collars being toxic to rabbits. I did buy one months ago, a cat flea collar; read something about it possibly being toxic to a cat, so never used it.
Thanks, I need all of the "Good luck" wishes that I can get with Thunder - indeed he is quite a handful!!!

Back