Hey! question , and help needed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBunBunneh

Reaction score
I am getting a rabbit and I am planning ahead.

Ive been told its dangerous to leave a rabbit outside in winter . And I would be even more worried with Canadian winters!

I also heard it was bad to leave bunny's out in really warm weather in summer. Heat stroke and all.

At first I thought maybe I should put him in the garage all year round but then I thought that's unfair he wants to be outside in the sun and fresh air.

So that idea went out the window But I seriously don't want him out in winter.

So I thought again ,outside in summer time, Under the shade or somwhere its cool but still gets sun, But when winter comes put him in the warm garage where nothing can hurt him and he'll be warm and safe.

So my question.
1.Should I leave him in the garage all year round ? (I don't want to but if I have to...)

2.Should I leave him out all year? (I don't want to do that either because of Canada's harsh winters.)

Or 3.should I keep him out In summer , a place where he will be comfy for the months of spring , summer , and fall , But bring him in the garage for the couple months of winter?
(I don't HAVE to put him in the garage, I own a farm so I have a couple little places all over the property , Like the wood house or the mini house that used to be used for kids. I also really would rather this plan.)

Thank you for reading all this! :biggrin2:

14250_231457_040000000.jpg

Can you not keep him the house with you so he can interact with you.

My bunnies all live inside, I love the fact that I interact with them and they play and make me smile just by watching them. Rabbits are quite easy to litter train.

Rabbits can get heat stroke very easy and you also must protect them from preditors and believe me their are many in Ontario.

Just my opinion. I love House Bunnies.:inlove:

Susan:)

Mine stay in the garage all year besides when we go to shows. They enjoy it. I keep fans on them in the summer and heaters in the winter. they get playtime and I'm out there all the time. Being in the garage is not unfair as long as they get playtime and you spend time with them. I feel better having them inside. I can control the temp and they are protected from everything. I think it just a matter of opinion and what you feel best doing and what is safest for your rabbits.

Crystal

I have an outdoor bunny (inside currently, but whatever), and she has a 6x3 hutch attached to my daughter's old playhouse. Wisconsin winters can be brutal, but Muppet seems to LOVE it out there. She has a four wall,straw filled enclosure with just a small opening for her to go in and out of to get out of the wind. And then she has the run of the playhouse, and a 3x4 wire enclosure that she spends most of her time in.

It was -10 one night/day, and she didn't even bat an eyelash. She still hung out on her shelf in the wire enclosure during the day instead of hiding in her "house". She seems to love the winter weather ;)

I say option 3 in my opinion.

Good luck!

Just one comment and please don't be offended. Regardless of where you house your bunny, if he is going to spend a lot of time alone PLEASE consider adopting two! They are companion animals. Don't forget to spay and neuter....for a happier healthier bunny.

I'm with some of the others - is there any reason you can't keep him in the house? He'll really be so much happier to have you around to interact with him. Neutering will definitely make him a better house companion.

Latest posts

Back