Help! White pee a problem!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlilly0212

Reaction score
I know that white pee is not a problem occasionally, and is due to too much calcium, but Bailey's pee has been murky or white for a while now....

I tried switching his greens from swiss chard to endive, but that didn't seem to make a difference! What do I do? Someone mentioned that alfalfa pellets have more calcium in them, but this is fairly recent- since Bailey and I came down to FL....

Any suggestions?

*Also- what are some good, low calcium greens I should try?

Also, endive isn't one of the lower calcium greens. Greens with low calcium include: parsley, cilantro, romaine, green and red leaf lettuce (not iceberg), and carrot greens. At least those are the low calcium greens my bunnies will eat. They'll also eat green peppers and cucumber, which are lower in calcium.

Could it be the water? Maybe you had softer water where you were before? I know my water here is really hard and will leave scale everywhere, even though it's city water and the building has a water softener. Some places just have a lot of minerals in their water.

I'm going to ask an incredibly ignorant question, but I honestly mean the best by it ;). Are you seeing the white pee when Bailey urinates...or after the fact? I only ask because urine often will turn white if it sits for too long on some surfaces. From what I understand it is due to the ammonia in the pee. I could be way off, but just thought I'd put it out there.

If you're witnessing the white or murky urine first-hand, I'd definitely consider taking Bailey to the vet. Is he straining at all? Is he eating and drinking normally? If he's usually litter trained, has that become a problem recently? If you're able to answer "no" to all of those questions then I'd consider cutting down on his pellets along with the calcium rich veggies. Is he on an alfalfa based pellet? Are you able to switch him to a timothy based one?

If it were me, I'd probably try the thing with the pellets and vegetables first and then if that doesn't work I'd look into a vet trip. Either way, good luck to you and Bailey. I hope it's nothing more than a dietary issue, but if it is more than that I hope he can get treated and get well uber-fast :).

Please keep us posted.

If is murky or chalky definitely go to the vet. Smitten's bludge sludge was so bad she was peeing just "chalky" stuff hardly any liquid. I could she her straining. I pushed the fluid and got her to the vet asap.

No, I work during the day- so I am just seeing the white pee on newspaper when I come home, so after-the-fact. Right now he is on an alfalfa-based pellet, I could try to get a timothy-based pellet, but I don't know when I will be able to get out....

I will try cutting down on pellets and maybe giving him some parsley?

Maybe it is the water, though, because this change really did start when we came down to FL. But I was giving him well water, which was hard I think.... I could try to give him bottled water and see if that makes a difference. I will give him Brita filtered water now....

Ahhh..... I'm nervous.

The good thing is- he is eating and drinking normally, maybe he even seems more hungry... my teenage boy (heheh) and he is acting normal. No signs of straining to pee at all. There was only one day last week when I came home and he hadn't peed at all... and he did and it was normal clearish-yellow urine....

Does that help or bring anything new to the table?

Check out this calcuim content list..... it says that broccoli and endive both have a lower calcium content than parsely? http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/calevel.html
confusing.... :\

Also- I realized that the problem may be that I am feeding him all at once instead of spread out throughout the day like when in RI... I am feeding him pellets right when I wake up, and then greens before I leave about 45 min later, and then pellets at night, whereas in RI we would feed him pellets in the morning and at night (the same) but greens in the middle of the day. I know tht humans can only absorb a certain amount of calcium at once, maybe rabbits are the same way? Maybe I just need to come home quickly on my lunch break and give him greens then...

What do you guys think?

(By the way- THANKS for responding... I appreciate it!)

That is confusing. It goes against what makes sense to me and what my previous vet said... Now I'm worried that I'm feeding the bunnies wrong.

I hope we can get this resolved.:?

waterlilly0212 wrote:
I tried switching his greens from swiss chard to endive, but that didn't seem to make a difference!

First off, how many greens does he get? I'm a firm believer that the key to a good bunny diet is variety. My guys will usually get a half dozen different veggies in their salads (or more).The minimum isthee kinds per setting, including one that's not a green -- red cabbage, pepper, carrot, raddiccio (sp?), cauliflower. (Red lettuce doesn'to count).

I also keepan eye open tooverloading on any one group -- ie: not kale, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage at the same meal, they all have similar properties. Just like I won't feed high calcium collard greens, radish tops, carrot tops, dandelion leaves and parsley in one setting, but I don't micromanage the counts.

The calcium issue is a misunderstood quagmire.I don't think there's much of an argument anymore that the calcium content in vegetables when it comes to a rabbit diet rarely matters.Given the water content, the benefits will far outweigh the negatives with urinary issues. However, if a certain vegetable consistently produced while urine, then best to cut it out.

But calcium overload (and absorbency) is much more of an issue in rabbit pellets. Alfalfa pellets have a high calcium content and if a rabbit is consistently putting out white urine,they should be weaned off of them.

Check out these Library listings...

Urinary Problems (especially this one)

Vegetables

Feeding Your Rabbit

And here's a good article about the calcium issue by Susan Brown and Laura Atkins.

http://www.carrotcafe.com/n/calcium.html

Here's an excerpt:

II. Why calcium is an issue in rabbits

Rabbits are different in that they appear to absorb most of the free calcium in their diet. The calcium level in their blood is not regulated well, in fact blood levels increase in proportion to the calcium in their diet. They also primarily excrete calcium through the urine, unlike other mammals which primarily excrete calcium through the bile and ultimately through the feces. Rabbits also excrete a highly alkaline (basic) urine which, combined with a high calcium level, can form calcium carbonate crystals ("bladder sludge") or stones.

Bladder sludge and stones are the reason many veterinarians and rabbit people believe that calcium should be limited in rabbits. In some cases, they are probably correct. The form of calcium in rabbit pellets is highly absorbable, as is the calcium in alfalfa. This is primarily free calcium and the bunny intestine acts like a sponge and sucks it all in. Other forms of calcium, such as calcium oxalate, are not as absorbable (in some cases unabsorbable).

So, how much calcium is absorbed is dependent on what kind of calcium is in the diet as well as how much is present.

III. Why calcium is not an issue in rabbits

In terms of what we routinely feed bunnies, that is: hay, pellets, and vegetables, not all are created equal in calcium amount and type. Pellets contain calcium from alfalfa hay and calcium from sources like limestone. This type of calcium is in a very absorbable form and is something that is a good idea to watch. But, there are other reasons to limit pellets, so we assume there is not an overwhelming amount of calcium in them. For a bunny with problems, feeding a low calcium (typically timothy based) pellet is not a bad idea.

Alfalfa hay contains a high level of potassium as well as calcium. One of the texts I have suggests that the high level of potassium in alfalfa hay may contribute the formation to sludge or urine crystals. Certainly there is some evidence that the other minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, phosphate and even sodium, play a role in sludge formation in rabbits.

That leaves vegetables, and their calcium content. For the majority of vegetables, water levels are between 80 and 95% of the total weight of the plant. Many times when calcium levels are being reported, they are reported as a percentage of *dry weight*, which does not take into account the weight of water. So the actual amount of calcium being fed may be much less when you look at what you're actually feeding, not the dry weight of the food. Many vegetables that have significant calcium levels also have significant oxalate levels. Calcium bound to oxalate (called, oddly enough, calcium oxalate) is not readily absorbable by the rabbit. Any calcium that is not absorbed cannot contribute to sludge.

Needless to say, I don't pay attention to calcium content in veggies. What I do try and do is rotate veggies frequently to give the bunnies a balanced diet. I do have a list of the calcium content of selected vegetables. If you are interested in oxalate levels of various vegetables I have a chart of that, too. To round out the group, there is also a list of calcium content of selected hays. In general, feeding a "high calcium" veggie is not going to harm your bunny. As always, you want to monitor bunny's output. If feeding one veggie or another consistently results in sandy looking urine, then you may want to decrease the amount you feed, or remove it from their diet entirely.

tonyshuman wrote:
Also, endive isn't one of the lower calcium greens. Greens with low calcium include: parsley, cilantro, romaine, green and red leaf lettuce (not iceberg), and carrot greens. At least those are the low calcium greens my bunnies will eat. They'll also eat green peppers and cucumber, which are lower in calcium.

Could it be the water? Maybe you had softer water where you were before? I know my water here is really hard and will leave scale everywhere, even though it's city water and the building has a water softener. Some places just have a lot of minerals in their water.

Trying to determine calcium counts will drive you nuts. The list I have (somewhere) has carrot tops pretty high. The list in the carrot cafe link is misleading because of measurement, absorbency, regional differences and different parts of the plant -- ie: raddishes are low in calcium, raddish tops are high. Just like there's a fair difference between flat leaf parsley (Italian) and curly (English). The formerI believe is much lover in calcium. (Don't know where I saw that though, so if somebody has a list that includes both, please share!)

Great point about the water! I'm going to have to ask around about that one.

Meanwhile, best to increase his fluid intake, maybe mix in a little cranberry juice, watch for thick consistency (like toothpaste)orsand sticking to his netherparts,and also for any signs of straining or peeing frequently or in unusual areas.

sas:bunnydance:

Thanks so much for responding.... :)

I just read on one of the website links tht you sent me (http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html)

Healthy rabbits excrete excess calcium salts via the renal system, and this can give the urine a chalky or opaque appearance. The urine will often dry to a white, chalky residue. Unless the residue is thick, pasty, and the color of mustard powder, this is normal, and should not be considered "sludge."

That is great because although there is a chalky residue- it is thin and white- not thick and light yellow! I guess I will just continue to be careful....

Also- I didn't know variety was that beneficial-- I have just been feeding Bailey mostly one green type a day, and adding some interesting things like a few basil leaves, or some parsley, or a grape or two....

I also asked my professor about the water and she says the water here is pretty hard... so that might also be a factor.

I am going to see if I can get timothy hay-based pellets, too.

Latest posts

Back