Help Suprise litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellenlouise

Reaction score
I have been so stupid. My female mini lop is pregnant, she will be 32 days tommorow. This morning I checked her nest and there was nothing there so this afternoon (Literally 10mins ago)just went to have a tidy. I noticed she had shoved lots of hair down the bottom so was moving it around to make a nice bed and discovered a little pink head poking out at me. I cnt believe how stupid I was, The nest has now been messed with while she has new born kits. As soon as I saw the face I tried to put everything as it was. Gave her some veg and put another bottle of water on her hutch. I so hope I have not messed this up. As it was be a disaster. I am so unsure now. Will she now kill the kits. When should I check on them again? Her last litter the babeis where Grey in color.

My doe is a sotty fawm mini lop

My buck is a gery chincilla mini lop he is BRC registered and carries the B.E.W gene.

Everyone is telling me to go back and check on them,. See if there are any dead babies. Then someone else says don't check on them for a week.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. From what I've read, if she knows you, very unlikely she'll kill the kits. You can check them againmbutmay want to give her a bit more time to deliver, then give her a treat to distract her.

Congrats on the babies!

EDIT: PS: The top of this thread has some great info... here's the link.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=8

Just checked on her again. I dnt think she is still delivering. I just gave her some fresh veg and some pellets. Filled both her water bottles, I dnt want to mess up the nest anymore. I have made it a right mess. Its not near the wires. My only worry is there is only one. They are really deeply buried. She seemed more relaxed now. I gave her a tiny bit of bread stick to distract her while I looked to see if she had tidyed it up. Shall I check in the morning?

Are you sure there's only one? No more deep inside the nest? How long has it been since she delivered?

Hopefully one of the breeders will chime in soon, but I'd say check in the morning, and keep aclose eye on her the next few hours just to make sure she doesn't have a stuck kit or something.

How many did she have last time? I think they're all over the map with numbers, but again, that's a breeder question. :)

:stork:

Unless there isa problem, the doe should be done delivering -- the entire process goes rather quickly. I would carefully check the nest for any more kits. The skill of palpating is very important in determining whether or not there are any "stuck" kits. You can carefully feel her belly -- retained kits feel like hard balls (walnuts)at this point.

Straining or discharge are signs that the doe may be having problems, although some does do not show any signs.

Does that are used to being handled generally don't mind the kits being handled (especially if given a little treat).

Pam

When Wildfire had her babies, I took the nestbox right out of the cage, and took all the babies out, placing them on a towell on top of a low setting heating pad. I checked to make sure non where hidden in the bedding any where, and that they where all alive and fed.

If you are worried about her not recognizing the smell, put a tiny bit of vanilla extract on them, and a little dab on the mom's nose. But I found that giving mom a good rub to get her smell on my hands works just fine.

Here's my babies about 20 minutes after being born, mom was quite happy to finish adding fur and improving her nest after I had checked the babies.
PicsOct42005028.jpg

You need to at least check to make sure there are no dead babies because the bodies will start to rot, and make the other babies sick.

--Dawn

Hey

Right I did what you said. We have two babies both are veryalive and very warm Wriggling around loads. We had to make a right mess of the nest Taking it all out as they were both mixed in with loads of hair. One was touching the bottom. So we took all the hay andd fur out placed half hay backin and then put fur then put babies on fur covered them again in fur. Then put hay on top.Before it was atunnel now if is a sort of layered effect. I hope we have done the right thing. We have taken Becky out while doing this. when we put her back in we gave her a toy to play with. Do you think she will be worried as the nest has changed? I kept them in my hands as mypartner took them out I blew on the constantly so they would not loose heat. They were litterally out of the nest for two seconds. Her last litter were four. She had two still borns and then two died shortly afterwards.

Mom will probably do a bit of re-arranging when she goes into nurse. Everyday Wildfire's nest would look a little bit different because moving all the hay and fur to feed her babies, she'd cover them back up.

--Dawn

Babies seem fine.I have given her some greens today. She ate them quite quickly. When should I stop feeding her greens. Babies look really well they have big fat tummys. She doesnt seem to mind me looking at babies. I am nervous as last time everything was going this well and I woke up in the morning and onehad dies and then later on that day the other died, That was on thesecond night this is the second night. When should I clean the mainhutch out? When will they start growing hair. They have pink tummiesand dark grey bodies what colour do you think they will be? Thanks forall the help and advice. :)

There is no need to discontinue greens if she has been eating them all along. The babies will be fine on greens as long as this has been a part of the doe's regular diet.

Pam

They are doing great. The fur has just starting to peep through. One baby is a darker grey than the other. They are very wriggly. Here the pic today 3 days old. When should I clean out her main part of the hutuch? Should I let her have a go in the run?

Bbaies_14th_april1.jpg

I would let Wildfire out for a run about, then tidy up the main part of her cage. I tried to keep it nice and clean so she wouldn't track any dirty bedding/litter into the nestbox when she fed.

I think she'll appreciate a nice clean cage.

You can see the progress of my babies in my blog: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=10087&forum_id=6

--Dawn

Ive made a new thread with all the pics for the babies, its called my mini lop babies.

Latest posts

Back