Help please with weaning questions??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny Mum

Reaction score
Our baby buns are 6 weeks old and i have heard conflicting views on when to wean and what to do. Can someone please in the know give me some pointers as this is our first litter.

Thank You

Trish:bunnydance:

I leave my bunnies with mum until they are eight weeks old, they would probably be fine leaving a bit younger than that but I would rather be safe and have it easier on the babies by allowing them to stay with mum for the full eight weeks.

Thanks Aliena,

Someone told me to take babies out a couple at a time to reduce Mums milk gradually. I never see her feed the Buns much anymore but expect she is feeding at night. Baby Buns are eating heartily pellets and Hay.

If we seperate them how long till we can reintroduce them, Mum will be spayed ASAP but if someone could tell me when we can have this done after a litter i would appreciate it.

If you are planning on keeping the babies and want them to live with mum in the future then I would leave them with her so long as you get her spayed before the male bubs are able to get her pregnant, maybe when they are about 10 or 11 weeks old? I'm not too sure but someone else will know.

We had 5 babies 4 are male and 1 female.

We are giving away one next Sunday to my brother as a family pet but plan on keepiing the rest. So yes they will be sharing their premises with the Dad whos been neutered and Mum. We have a great setup.

The baby we are giving away will be 7.5 weeks old so i hope it will be ok just to be taken from rest. Any feedback appreciated.:bunnydance:

taking the baby away at 7 and half weeks will be fine. Make sure the person you are giving them to have a hutch and everything ready before they/you take the bunny. This way they can just let the bunny into their new home and leave them alone to settle in!

Links to some pics would be nice!

I leave my babies with their mother until they are 8 weeks old unless

the mother is getting dragged down from nursing them. I sometimes will

leave a doe with her mother indefinately as long as they are getting along

I would strongly advise separating the bucks to a separate hutch permanently.

You will have fighting going on shortly especially with dad. He may be neutered

but he is still a buck.

Roger

As I am short on space right now, what I have done with the last MR litter I had was this. I was luckier than you, though, as only two were bucks and one of them went to a new home. So the other buck got his own bachelor pad, and mom and the rest of the girls all still hang out in the big brood cage. I have been checking, and the mom has stopped lactating. If I thought she was still nursing them, I would find a way to take her out of there, but they seem to be all getting along.

Back