Help needed please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Badger started Zithromax tonight. He had his first dose about an hour ago and he's not comfy. He's doing a weird lying thing, although he does get up and get active, but he keeps smearing himself around on the floor.

IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Location UK

Description (Breed, color, weight) Black vienna marked nethie

Age 3 and a half

Sex male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: (see above)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? Haven't seen him do anything in the immediate past
- when did they last use their litterbox? Unsure
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? No
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? Wood pellet litter and hay

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? Neutered
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? yes- he has a 'larygeal issue' (we are unsure what) Either paralysis or problems with his soft pallet
- is s/he on any medications? 0.5mls metacam once a day, 1 turn of Fibreplex 3 times a day, 0.3mls Corvental (I think that's what its called), 1ml Zithromax once a day

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? Excel pellets and hay
- when and what did s/he eat last? about an hour ago, with his meds
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) won't accept food now, failed the treat test

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? , lots of lying down and in discomfort, but running normally
- is the rabbit molting? no
- any weight loss? yes, due to previously mentioned issues
- any sign of drooling? wet face? no
- runny eyes? no
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? no
- is s/he breathing normally no but this is common

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? no
- has the rabbit been outdoors? no
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? yes but no

What do I do for him?

Can I give him Infacol or Gripe Water? Any chance it could be gas? We've not had gas here before.

I'm guesing his tummy hurts, but he is on a lot of Metacam so I can't give him anymore.

He's eating! He's just eaten some grass and some dandelion leaves.

Can Zithromax zonk them out? Maybe it wasn't pain but like feeling wiped out?

I don't think Gripe Water would be good as it contains bicarbonate which is basic--we usually want to add acid to the gut, not base.

Is this the Corvental?
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/documents/S3458.html
The active ingredient is theophylline, which seems like a strange drug to give due to some side effects, I will read up more on it. Has he been on it long or is it new?

Latest posts

Back