Help my bunny had kits I'm lost on what is normal and what is not.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nala&simba

Reaction score
My bunny Nala had 4 kits. They are a week old. The runt passed away yesterday. The other 2 seem to have full bellies but the 3rd not so much this morning. I tried having her feed the 3rd one but she was not having it and being mean to the kit so we ended up just putting it back in the nest box. My questions are 1st she made her nest on my daughter's bed every morning we find 1 baby missing so could I move the nest to the floor? 2nd could I supplement the 3rd would the mother stop feeding it if I did? 3rd the chunker of the 3 it's private area looks red is that normal? Also it had teeth marks on it's back is that normal? Sorry for all the questions.

The kits should be provided with a nest box with sides high enough to keep them in and low enough for mom to hop in to nurse comfortably. The nest box should have soft hay with a hollowed out part for the kits to nestle into, and that should have been lined with the moms fur to protect them and keep them warm.

If a kit misses nursing with the mom and is looking wrinkly(dehydrated), the kit can be brought to the mom for nursing, though this needs to be done carefully so she doesn't kick out and injure the kit. Usually it involves holding the mom(over a safe surface so neither mom nor kit can get injured) and bringing the kit up under her to nurse. This is best done a while after she has nursed, so it gives time for her milk to have come back in. If nursing from her isn't possible, hand feeding is a possibility, but usually only as a last resort due to the high risk of aspiration pneumonia occurring.

The private area shouldn't look red unless the mom is overgrooming the kit, or if it's getting mushy poop stuck to the bum, which would mean it could have a digestive problem(eg. e. coli).

Teeth marks aren't normal and would mean the mom bit the kit. If the mom is acting aggressive towards the kits and is causing injury, I would keep them separated from her(in their nest box), and only return them to her twice a day in the morning and evening, for just the few minutes it takes for her to nurse them.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Baby_rabbits_(domestic)

The link @JBun gave has another link in it with instructions for a nestbox. I recommend reading through it. I personally like pictures better for instructions so this may or may not be helpful to you. Just want to note this is for a Holland Lop so if your rabbit is bigger you MAY need a bigger nestbox, I don’t know.1F51AE76-75FB-49FA-941C-F8F83F9810EC.jpeg

The kits should be provided with a nest box with sides high enough to keep them in and low enough for mom to hop in to nurse comfortably. The nest box should have soft hay with a hollowed out part for the kits to nestle into, and that should have been lined with the moms fur to protect them and keep them warm.

If a kit misses nursing with the mom and is looking wrinkly(dehydrated), the kit can be brought to the mom for nursing, though this needs to be done carefully so she doesn't kick out and injure the kit. Usually it involves holding the mom(over a safe surface so neither mom nor kit can get injured) and bringing the kit up under her to nurse. This is best done a while after she has nursed, so it gives time for her milk to have come back in. If nursing from her isn't possible, hand feeding is a possibility, but usually only as a last resort due to the high risk of aspiration pneumonia occurring.

The private area shouldn't look red unless the mom is overgrooming the kit, or if it's getting mushy poop stuck to the bum, which would mean it could have a digestive problem(eg. e. coli).

Teeth marks aren't normal and would mean the mom bit the kit. If the mom is acting aggressive towards the kits and is causing injury, I would keep them separated from her(in their nest box), and only return them to her twice a day in the morning and evening, for just the few minutes it takes for her to nurse them.

I cant tell if it's diarrhea I saw yellow and brown around it's bum can I take week old bunnies to the vet? If it was something like e.coli could a vet prescribed medicine for the baby bunny?

I switched the nesting box as the original nesting box was not tall enough and a kit escaped but I would still like to move it to the floor instead of my daughter's bed but I'm not sure if that is ok to move the location of thr nesting box? Thank you so much for all your help.

If there is bright yellowish mushy/watery poop, that is a strong indication of e. coli, and could be why you are having these issues with the kits. They would need to be put on the proper rabbit safe, juvenile safe, antibiotic by a knowledgeable rabbit vet. If your kits do have e. coli, you'll want to take them and the mom bun to an experienced rabbit vet. But I would only do this if it was absolutely e. coli, otherwise putting such young rabbits on antibiotics could be a risk.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...its?redirectid=986?ruleredirectid=30#v3306536
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I would move the nest box to the floor and see how it goes. Though if the mom bun is free roam in the room, do make sure she knows where the kits have been moved.

Latest posts

Back