Help, my bunnies don't like me...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbodub_6

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just adopted two lop rabbits, and I've had them for about about aweek now. They're just over 5 months old, and they were litter trainedby their foster owner.

Anyways, their litter habits haven't been the greatest, but I thinkthis is because they're coping with the move. It seems like most ofthey're poop makes it into the box, but each day, 2-3 trips end upoutside the box. So, if I don't touch their cages for a day, probablyabout 30 pebbles will end up outside the box. Does that sound aboutright? Do peoples' rabbits have 100% accuracy? Or is there always a fewthat get away?

In they're cage, they look very comfortable; stretched out and relaxed for a lot of the time.

I let the two out to have run of the apartment, and after examining theplace, the boy, Bartleby, seemed pretty relaxed, and would lie down onthe floor. The girl though, Lokey, just huddles in a very secludedcorner.

Worst off though, when I go to pet Bartleby, once I touch him he'll hopaway from me so I can't pet him. It seems like he's not scared, he justdoesn't want to be pet.

When I go to pet Lokey, she'll kind of dash away, in a more fearful manner.

Anyways, I know I need to be patient, and give the rabbits time toadjust, but it's just a little frustrating when I can't even pet thelittle guys. Am I doing anything wrong, or does anyone have any adviceto make the guys a little more personable?

Thanks in advice guys.

Cheers

Roger

Congratulations on your new bunnies!

First of all because of the new environment and all of the changes yourbunnies are going through they may temporarily forget their litter boxhabits. Then again my rabbits still haven't figured it out either...well anyway, give them about a month to adjust and get used toeverything, includingyou.

As for the not liking you part they are still getting to knowyou!When they are out and about just sit down on the floorabout 5 feet from them and read a book. After a while they will comeover and sniff you then you can talk to them (yeah I know,Iknow, talk to a rabbit?! But now is the best time to start becauseina month or two you'll be doing it anyway;)) and put yourhand down for them to smell.

When you feed them let them smell your hand and then you can trypetting them, just don't make them feelthreaten or trappedoryou'll discover how hard those teeth can chomp:shock:.Anybody on this board will tell you that if a rabbit knows you are theone that feeds them and gives themtreatsthey'lllove you forever.Just relax and be patient and they will loveyouin no time!

Sorry this is so long!

Lissa, BlueBelle, and CupCake

congrats on your bunnies! When i feed my babybunny Emmy, she always loves it when i get her treat box from thecup-board. Once she sees it, then she would always follow me aroundwith it..! hehehe.. i hope you have good luck! Also.. you should giveit some toys, like baby plastic ones or cat ones! You can buy these atpetco less than a dollar! Well i really hope that you and your rabbitshave a best time with each other. Keep us updated on how they areacting!

Trina, Katy, & Emmy!:)

turbodub_6 wrote:
...their litter habits haven't been the greatest, but I thinkthis is because they're coping with the move. It seems like most ofthey're poop makes it into the box, but each day, 2-3 trips end upoutside the box. So, if I don't touch their cages for a day, probablyabout 30 pebbles will end up outside the box. Does that sound aboutright? Do peoples' rabbits have 100% accuracy? Or is there always a fewthat get away?

Worst off though, when I go to pet Bartleby, once I touch him he'll hopaway from me so I can't pet him. It seems like he's not scared, he justdoesn't want to be pet.

When I go to pet Lokey, she'll kind of dash away, in a more fearful manner.

...I know I need to be patient, and give the rabbits time toadjust, but it's just a little frustrating when I can't even pet thelittle guys. Am I doing anything wrong, or does anyone have any adviceto make the guys a little more personable?

Relax. Give'em some time to acclimate to you and their newenvironment. Bunnies dislike change, so it's a big deal tothem. They'll come around, eventually.

Most of us have never seen the likes of a bunny that will depost allits poops in the litter box. They don't control theirspincter muscles very well, especially young bunnies. Theywill poop to mark their new territory, poop out of excitement, poop outof fear, and poop for a mutltitude of reasons that is only known tothemselves. Be pleased if they choose to urinate in thelitter box without fail. Anything more than that is a giftfrom the bunny gods.

Buck

My rabbits' were just like that when I firstadopted them, granted they were about a year older than yours. Theirlitter box habbits are good again and they're getting more freindlyeveryday. Both are still pretty skidish about being pet though. Butthey've started to come up to me, let me pet them once or twice andthen they run off.

~Christine~

Most of us have never seen the likes of a bunnythat will depost all its poops in the litter box. They don'tcontrol their spincter muscles very well, especially youngbunnies. They will poop to mark their new territory, poop outof excitement, poop out of fear, and poop for a mutltitude of reasonsthat is only known to themselves. Be pleased if they chooseto urinate in the litter box without fail. Anything more thanthat is a gift from the bunny gods.

Buck

l Yes,thisis so true! -Jan

I adopted Hershey going on two monthsnow and he was like that at first too. His poop doesn'talways make it in the litter box but he doesn't do his business anywhere else. ;) It took him about a month to comearound and now he is the sweetest little rabbit. He does notchew, pee or poop in the house, and he is a very lovable bun.Your buns will come around too, you willsee.

Thanks so much for the advice and reassuring guys.

It's great to hear that I still have hope that I'll be able to bondwith my bunnies. In the last few days their litter habits have gotten alot better, actually frighteningly close to perfect.

However, Bartleby bit me again today when I had my hands in his cage to refill his food bowl.

It's really kind of weird because last night, it seemed like I wasmaking headway, as Bartleby let me pet him a little bit (after I gavehim a treat of course).

It's just sort of frustrating when you do your best to bond with yourbunnies and they don't reciprocate the feeling at all. I guess I'lljust have to stay patient and know that they'll eventually come around.

Any advice to speed along the process?

Thanks guys!

Cheers

Roger

I had a foster doe that did that. She was reallyjumpy at first, and it took a long time before she didn't head for thebox to hide when I walked by. Food worked wonders.

I have the best luck with skittish buns when lying on the floor on my stomach, talking nonsense in a higher soft voice.

The biting will probably go away. Cranky, scared bunnies in a new housewill lash out sometimes. My baby that I raised even bites me when he'sin a bad mood. I yell "Bub NO!".Wouldn't recommend that foryou though, because yours are scared still and that could make itworse. Bub isn't afraid of me and knows when he's been bad.

Don't take the bites personally, unless he's still biting a month ortwo from now. That could be a problem, but I'm guessing he'll figureout that you are the friendly food bringer and the biting will stop.

Good luck!

Rose

My bunny was the same, he was very scared whensomebody touched him. But over a month I have seen really big changesin his behaviour towards us. He likes to be pet now, and comes out ofthe cage to hop around. He is also getting more comfortable with metouching him, he lets me touch his feet now, and does not change theposition he sits in when I try to pet him.

Latest posts

Back