help me please someone!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rezbeck

Reaction score
i went to remove smokey out of the hutch to cleanit and he was fine, but when it came to snowy i couldnt move her cosshe growled at me, she has never done this before so what does itmean??? had to clean the hutch around her as i didnt want to upset hercan someone answer me please?? thanks!!

It "means" she is disgruntled over what you aredoing. It could be prompted by a myriad of reasons, such asthe onset of puberty, increased territoriality, wanting to be bred, or,simply, in a cranky mood. Not atypical behavior for manybuns, especially does, who tend to be less mellow than their malecounterparts.

You don't indicate Smokey's age or whether she's been spayed, both ofwhich could play a part in determining why the "change" inher behavior.

Buck

Is this the first time? How old is Snowy? Itcould be that she is starting to get territorial about her abode andyou present an "intruder alert" attitude in her. Some buns just want tosupervise when their parent is cleaning the cage, others get verysuspicious of exactly what you are doing in there, and others are doingas Snowy is~that is "MY HOUSE MY HOUSE"

I just learned that when my girl's house was moved (for only 2 days, Igave in) they marked the spot afterwards with copious amounts ofdroppings in order to keep it as their territory. I would not takeoffense to Snowy's behavior, but unfortunately I do not have a solutionto your problem since I own two "supervisors", hopefully someone elsecan present to you some solutions ;)

Best of luck to thee

Cher

*LOL Sir.Buck~we posted at the exact same time* I like the term disgruntled though, seems so suiting in this scenario

Yeah or she'll kill the kits to stop smokey doingit. Not pleasant I'd imagine! Look in your localpaper for rabbit hutches, usually there are a few that aren't soexpensive as the shop bought ones.

I'd keep them apart as you'll end up with a colony if they stay together! LOL

Precautions first!

First and foremost... Put a nestbox in with Snowy and separate herfromSmokey. How big is your hutch? Areyou able to temporarily "divide" the hutch into two until you can get a2nd cage for him? 1/4" wire mesh works great for this ... Useheavy duty staples to secure the wiringto the hutch on thefront, back & bottom of the wire (where it attaches to thehutch). It's a nice temporary "band-aide".

well if she is then i need to find a hutch from somewhere to;put smokey in, otherwise she will attack him and her babies wontshe?
It's not that she will attack him or the babies, she might, but it'sbecause having a buck in with her while she's nursing babies willtremendously stress her out. The reason being is that thebuck will repeatedly be mounting & breeding her. Youreally do not want that because she will end up having back to backlitters... this really takes a toll on a doe.

Pleasebe aware that it is VERY, VERYpossiblethat if Snowy delivers her babies before separating, Smokey can& will immediately rebreed her, within minutes of herdelivering--- and 28-31 days later, even more babies.

Good Luck! I wish you the best!

~Sunshine

Delphinum wrote:
Is she spayed? And is Smokey neutered?*thinks along the pregnancy line* :shock:

Good job! I entirely missed the fact that two rabbits werebeing referred to and thought of Smokey as the one and onlydoe. Not payingclose enough attention, but you wereand caught what should have been the "obvious."

Buck

*blushes* Aww Buck, your praise is worth it's weight in gold!

Let us know if you end up with any kits rezbeck, we'd love to see pictures!

Back