help me choose a vet to neuter my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
Hello. Ok so my rabbit is a mixed breed, maybe a bit of britannia in him or a netherland? Hes very small, not sure of his weight but he is a small breed. He is 8ish months now.

I am thinking about getting him neutered, I have heard it prevents cancers and helps stops unwanted behaviour. I am not going to my normal vet, he deals with my cats, dogs and horses but as very little small animal expierence. I found another vets which is an hour from me. It deals with small animals. Here is a bit on the website about thier operations http://www.barnavetclinic.ie/our-services/treatments.phpthey also emailed me after i emailed them saying its ''The cost of it includeds anaesthetic, painkiller/anitbiotic injecion, 2 and 10d check
up.79.45 is the price overall.''

I think it sounds good. What do you all think. Oh and I am thinking of emailing them asing them a few questions about it as I am really nervous. Questions I got of the internet are

Could you give me an estimate on about how many rabbits you see in a year?how many neuters have you done on rabbits in the past year?what was the success rate?If any didn’t make it, what was the cause?Is entry to the testicles made through the scrotum or the abdomen?Does you require withholding of food and water prior to surgery in rabbits?What anaesthetics are used?

Anyother questions to add?

That sounds like a good price. Antibiotics usually aren't needed though, and can upset the GI tract which is already under stress due to the surgery itself. Also you will want take-home pain meds. The stuff they give is only a bit stronger than motrin (on a human scale) and nobunny should have to suffer from a neuter with no pain meds.

Did you see our vet listings by members?
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15071&forum_id=9

Latest posts

Back