Help! I don't know what to do!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSeaGoddess

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 2 rabbits separated right now in the same room while waiting for one to recover from being spayed. They've been in there together for probably about a month now. anyway, this morning we were downstairs and I heard some loud noises. The male rabbit (who is neutered btw) was jumping, higher than I've ever seen him. He actually landed in a box and jumped out of it......it was probably about 4 feet. It looks like when he landed, he somehow has hurt his left front foot....it was bleeding some......and I saw what looked like a little cut on it. If he had a thumb, it would be right where that is. It now looks like the bleeding has stopped but he is just cowering on the bottom shelf of a book shelf that is in the room. The problem is, it is Sunday.....I have called 3 different emergency vets in my area and NONE of them see rabbits. I don't know what to do! I'm new at having rabbits so, I didn't know if I should just let him be knowing the bleeding has stopped or try to find someone to look at him.

Thanks....I'm very worried.

Did he break off his nail? They have dewclaws in the front.

maybe you should keep them in separate rooms until she's a bit better? then let them get together to just visit for a bit with your supervision. (I'm assuming they are bonded?)

Hi,

First...don't panic....your rabbit will sense that and itwill panic him. Also, if you could put your general location in your profile, we can help you find a vet when necessary.

The important thing here is that the bleeding has stopped. Is he putting weight on the leg? If so, he is most likely just a little shaken...and with a cut. He might have broken a nail (or the dewclaw). I would try to keep him as confined as possible to monitor him. If he is limping, not putting any weight on the leg or is in obvious discomfort, then he needs to be seen by a vet. Again, if you don't want to post your location, send me a PM and I will see if I have a vet in your area. If he does need to be seen,emergency treatment is basically the same for all species....and if you can find a vet willing to work with you, I can talk them thru any PE or treatment (including pain meds) if they are willing to do so.

But if he is using the leg and it's not bleeding, I would monitor it but most likely things will be OK. If you can, you might put a little Neosporin (the basic version...not the Plus version) on the injury. If the bleeding starts again, you can use Styptic Powder...aka Stop Bleed (something that should be in your first aid kit). It can be purchased at any pet store. An acceptable alternative in a pinch is flour. Give his some quiet as he sounds as if he is a little shaken up. If he is limping, we need to be more aggressive with treatment. We have had that to happen here....usually it's more scary to them (and us) than anything else. Keep a watch when he starts moving around....no limping and no bleeding...you are good.

Randy

He seems to be more shaken up now than anything else, at least I think. I 'coaxed' him out of the bookshelf with some yogurt treats which he ate. He's out now and was hopping around some so, he is putting weight on it. I don't see that it is bleeding anymore....there isn't any more blood on the carpet from where he has been walking. Right now, he is just sitting there very nervous. (I calmed myself down some before I went back in there and he came out for some yogurt treats and ate a couple. )

I live in Richmond, VA. My vet that I see where I had the other one spayed is Lakeside Animal Hospital. They are experienced with rabbits but, unfortunately, do not have Sunday hours.....and no way to contact them on a Sunday. But, I think he is ok now....

I was so scared......I am wondering if he started jumping after he injured his foot.....like he was in a frenzy or something? I was wondering if maybe he stepped on something in the room that cut it and then he freaked out some and started jumping.

Him and the other rabbit aren't bonded yet. I was working on bonding them in neutral areas by giving them bunny dates where he was doing fine with her but, she was scared but, he would groom her and stuff so, they were getting there. She started going through a false pregnancy, building a nest and stuff. So, that is when I had her spayed, almost 10 days ago (she gets the staples out tomorrow!). I am going to hold off on anymorebunny datesuntil she is fully recovered.

Anyway, they have been in the room together but separated for quite some time now so, I'm not sure he was actually jumping to try to get to her or if he jumped after he injured himself. I think he's ok now though.

Gosh, thank you guys for responding right away though.....I need to not panic and freak out when something like this happens. I need to calm down, I now...I just freaked though because it was scary watching him jump like that. I was afraid he was going to hurt himself more!

Hi Again!

Well, I found out what happened! He has broke his claw off somehow! I went up there just now and he was just laying in this little 'dome' that I have in there....he goes in there to be 'safe'. He seemed ok and stuff but, I found the claw. It looks to be completely be completely pulled out! :shock: I don't know how he did this unless he got it caught on something. No more bleeding but, I'm sure it is probably hurting him. So, I assume there's nothing they can do for this anyway except let it heal? Is there anything I should be doing other than just letting him be? I do have an appointment tomorrow morning at 8:00 to take the other rabbit in to get her staples out....should I take him as well for them to look at it or just let it be?

thanks again!!!

I would just watch him make sure it is healing ok. Though doesn't hurt to have him looked at.

I figured it was a claw. He should do fine - bowas missing one for a long time but it's back now.. Sometimes they break them off and it's really close to the foot - might not come back.

Thanks. I'm happy to report that he is now back to his normal fiesty, jolly self! He's out now, wondering around his space, eating, and when he turned his food bowl over, I knew he was back to normal! :biggrin2: He seems fine now...no blood, and the foot is definitely not bothering him. Since I have to take my other bun in the morning to have her staples out, I'm going to call before I go and see if they thinkI need to bring him in just to have it checked.....if the way he is now is any indication though, he is fine. I'm happy and SO relieved now!!

thank you all for your quick responses this a.m.!

I was a crying, blubbering crazy idiot when Bo lost his nail. My baby was hurt!

We're happy to help. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back