Help!! Flea issue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rae033

Reaction score
We got our rabbits Neutered today..when we went to check for swelling/redness we found 1 flea on one of our flemish boys, we used a flea comb and checked really well. We know they did NOT have fleas before they went to the vets. We searched all over and did not find anymore (or so we didnt see anymore) We didnt want to put them in too much stress, because they just got home from the vets. We currently have 4 house bunnies that are housed around eachother, 2 of which are under 6 months of age. We have never had any fleas in our house and never seen a flea on any of our rabbits. We have been searching the internet and there is just too many clashing answers to really know what we should do. The last thing we want is a flea investation in our house! PLEASE let us know whatever we should use/do/not do. We are not expierenced with fleas and we dont want to put our rabbits in any harm!! Any advice or suggestions would mean the world to me! :(

The best and safest treatment for fleas is Revolution. It is available only by prescription. Never had any adverse reactions at all. Some people have used Advantage but there have been reports of reactions in a few rabbits. Frontline should never be used on rabbits. Ivermectin can be used safely but it is important that it be properly dosed as it can become toxic at higher doses. Give Dr. Hummel a call....she works most Saturdays until noon.

Randy

Revolution is the standard treatment; all the bunnies at the shelter get a dose of it upon admission. I would also rent a steam cleaner to get the fleas out of any rugs and upholstery that they may have taken up residence in.

Sorry Carissa I just saw your PM I am glad u decided to post because that would have been my advice. Hope all gets better soon :)

I doubtat this point that you have a flea infestation and yesI would guess the flea did come from the vets office.;I would treat the ones that went to the vet office with revolution and although you could treat the others you may not need to.

if they were caged no need to do the rug.

We use revolution at the shelter all the time on the rabbits and have never had an issue; the other name for revolution is selamectin.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics/safe_antiparasitic.htm

So if you use the Revolution to treat a rabbit for fleas do you use an entire tube (between the shoulder blades)or is it just a few drops behind the ears?

Is the Revolution you woulduse for a bunnyformulated for cats or kittens? Is it sold by the weight of the animal?

We usually use the little vial for kittens and puppies at the shelter but technically you should dose by weight .

if you have a flemish you would use a larger dose.

According to medirabbit the dosage for selamection ( revolution) is 6 mg / kg. A kg is approx 2.2 lbs
I believe that the strength of the Revolution is the same in all the types (large dogs, small dogs. cats) etc but that the volume of liquid in the vials is different. For dogs and cats it is dosed acording to weight of the dog in a general way like over 25 lbs, under 5 lbs etc.

if you get the large vials you can treat a lot of rabbits but if you are only treating a few you are going to waste the rest of the vial.

http://www.petshed.com/revolution.asp
You should talk with your vet , however you can order it on-line without a prescription from a few places.

Latest posts

Back