Help converting a kennel into a bunny cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponyta

Reaction score
So, I want to adopt a single adult male, preferably around June, unsure what breed. Right now I live in an apartment that doesn't allow pets, and I'm not willing to play hide-the-bunny, plus, it's way to small in here for that. I'm just a planner, don't judge me. It's something I want really, really, really bad so I'm going to wait until I can and cover all my bases. In the mean time I will walk dogs and pet kitties and date boys so I can fulfill my need for companionship.

It's not my first rodeo with rabbits. My boys had a huge cage and free roamed and life was fantastic. But I want something collapsible this time. Very simple and sturdy. I was thinking a large or extra large dog kennel with either a removable shelf or as an alternative pet steps large enough for a bunny bum. Then an attachable play pen, possibly made of NIC cube panels, but I would prefer an actual pen positioned over an area rug with free access.

With that out of the way the only real problem is the bottom of the cage. I want the cage to remain collapsable, that's important to remember. I don't know what you call the plastic/cardboard trays, but I want that. The ones that slide in and out are to thin, and I want 6" built up around the sides like you would a traditional NIC cage. The front of the kennel, with the door, is to narrow to fit that in there. I'm wondering if anyone has any alternatives or ideas? Perhaps I could keep the tray that comes with the kennel and do a plastic/cardboard tray around the cage (snugly of course) so that any mess wont fly onto the walls and surrounding area? That might require extra effort when cleaning, but that's okay. If that's going to be the case I'll probably to a thin wood and line it with sticky tiles so the pressure of the actual cage doesn't do it any damage. Does that make sense?

What do you all think? Possible, or am I just crazy?

i have xlarge dog kennel/cages for 2 of my buns ..i use the regular tray that comes with it and i cut coroplast whatever height i want and ziptie it to the cage and it fits snugly down between the cage and the tray...whatever u use to border the cage will be chewed on so im not sure sticky tiles are gonna be good to ingest:)...altho coroplast isnt much better but they only try out the flavor of the coroplast ..cuz they end up leaving it alone...i have shelves in both the cages but they arent easily removed..thats gonna be tricky..if i were u id just get them a nice big basket with a square bottom..turn it upside down cut two holes in it and they can use the top of that for a shelf...i use baskets in a couple of my cages and the buns love to hang out on top and inside ...u just gotta clip it to the side of the cage with a plastic laundry clip so they dont throw their house around or fall of if it wiggles...

Or decorate the wall with old blankets and newspapers to collect the spray and pee flings!! The idea you have is lovely though, a kennel is not quite big enough on its own so an NIC addition would be fantastic.

my kennel/cage is for a huge dog and its with a shelf ...it gives them more room then most cages...these kennels are for big big dogs..so yes it is big enough.u obviously have no idea how big these cages are.
measurements:42" long x 27" deep x 31" high
and the shelf is 14" and it runs the 42" length of the cage...so thats added space...plenty of room for a bun...it really bugs me when u see a bun in a little bunny cage so i would never do that to one of my buns.
plus all my buns take turns in a HUGE xpen in the middle of my living room..i made the xpen out of 64 cubes if that tells u how big it is.

Latest posts

Back