Help, bunny got spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGemma

Reaction score
We spayed one of our bunnies yesterday .
When we took her home she was looking fine as soon as we got home and put her in a cage she started eating...she was acting normal....(although she was still on pain killers)
This morning i noticed that she didnt touch her food since yesterday and the water bottle is still full...
I put water bottle close to her , but she couldnt drink out of it ,although she was trying ....
I had to take a saucer put soe water in it and give it to her.... thats the only way she can drink right now ....
Is that normal?
I thinking maybe her pain killers started to wear off ...
Should i get her more pain killers?
Vet told us to call only if she wont start eating in 48 hours ....but im really worried

Hi FuzzyGemma,

Call the vet if she hasn't eaten or drank in 24 hours. Do not wait 48 hrs.

It could be any number of things, but you don't want her to have and GI or hydration problems.

~Jim

Am I the only one who's vet gave me pain meds for afterwards when I got home? I'm shocked to see that no one asked why this person's vet didn't give them more meds. I thought this would be manditory, no? :huh

I think that varies from vet to vet. My vet, however, did send Amber home with liquid pain meds.

FuzzyGemma, I would reccomend taking her back to the vet so that her not eating can be taken care. The vet might send you home with more pain meds.

Thank you every1
I called the vet, and sent my husband for more pain killers and pineaple juice...
BACI
Thank you
I asked y husband to pick up some canned pumkin and pineaple juice ...hope it will work
My bunny's cold too , her ears are really cold

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
Am I the only one who's vet gave me pain meds for afterwards when I got home? I'm shocked to see that no one asked why this person's vet didn't give them more meds. I thought this would be manditory, no? :huh
Pipp went 24 hours without eating when she was spayed, she was sent home with no meds and was in terrible pain. :( I didn't know about all this stuff then. I was quite upset with the vet. I've made a point of requesting pain meds for her dental surgeries ever since, but last time, they forgot. I got SO MAD at them, the vet himselfdrove right over with some Medicam!

sas (who's rather dangerous when angry :mad:)

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
My vet gives a pain shot that lasts 24 hours or so. If the animal is in bad pain after that then he wants to see them in person to make sure nothing is wrong. Not all vets give that though, and then you definately need oral pain meds sent home.

Edit: I wanted to add that my vet has seen a number of bad responses to oral pain meds with rabbits. He prefers not to risk them or give them long term if he doesn't need to. After seeing Fey's trouble with Meticam (prescribed by an emergency vet), I don't blame him.

FuzzyGemma, definately give her something warm to snuggle with. You can heat up a towel or stuff a sock with dry rice and microwave it. The warmth will not only make her feel more comfortable but it will increase her circulation, helping to heal the incision.

How's she doing?

:bump

PS: Pipp's great with Medicam but it has to be taken with food and it takes 12 to 24 hours to kick in-- so as a aid for a post-spay bunny who's not eating, it's a bit tricky.

We actually took our Bunny to the Vet afew hours ago(my hubby called her and she asked to bring the rabbit in) , she gave her some pain meds , said that she looks perfect , and she probably wont eat much because this medication makes her nauseated
She also gave us some pain killers and antibiotics...
Bunny feels much better after the medication she ate a little bit , drank a little bit too and even used her litter box ...
So hopefully everything is going to be fine
:)

My vet said the same thing about the pain meds. They tend to slow things down, nauseate them so they don't eat and the sooner they eat the sooner they heal. She refused to give me more pain meds but suggested baby food and syringe feeding the liquids. After syringe feeding the pineapple juice (from canned pineapples) and using the warm sock with rice my rabbit warmed up and her heart rate felt stronger. It was scarey for us as I am sure it has been for you. I am happy the vet said she is doing well. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Pipp
Yeah the meds make her naseated , but the vet also gave us meds that helped that
BACI
I tried to cover Muffin with blanket ....2 min later she was sitting on top of it ....
I bought her some apple sause , she loves it
She got much better actually , she eats everything (and a lot)
But since she is "the sick bunny" she gets lots of treats every day so she got really picky(she definately didnt like pumkin , but she likes bananas and dry apricotes lot):)
She didnt lose any weight so thats good ,yesterday she started drinking from the water bottle again so hopefully she's going to be fine :bunnydance:

:colors:I am soooo happy for you!!!:colors:

BTW did you take any more baby pics of her litter from your previous post. If I missed it sorry. I was just curious. I hadn't seen a post in awhile

take care;)

$Y^&^%*&(*(&^% to the vets who do not believe in pain meds. It has beenproven that painmeds do help animals recover and heal faster because they feel better. and typically those on painmeds do not bother their stitches as much either. . And were more interested in food because of less pain. This applies to rabbits as well. my vet typically sends home surgeries on 4 days of pain meds, because after a major surgery of course there is going to be pain, anyone who thinks 24 hours is enough has never had any type of surgery in my opinion.More major surgeries are sent home with longer dosage of pain meds.

for example, whenDaphnee had her eye out, the first couple of days she was on a stronger pain med that is a narcotic and injectable. After that she went onmetacam until she healed.

of course in some cases there can be a reaction to themeds but from what i have seen this is the exception not the rule. just my 2 cents worth--g

Latest posts

Back