help avice pls very sick bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailiejade

Reaction score
i went to check on my bunny beau and instead of being his usual hoppy self he was very still , i picked him up and his whole stomach felt solid and there was a massive lump that was solid on his right side , he was very quiet and i noticed he had not touched his food or water all day, i rang the vets and was just waiting for my mum to come sit with kids so could get him seen but he started making strange noises with his breathing and just wanted to cuddle into my neck i put him on the floor to lay on a towel while i got organised and he tried to hop towards me my other bunny started crying and thumping and trying to get to him , he then started having bubbles and fluid coming out of his nose and then his mouth he tried to get back to the bed i made him but lost control of his back legs and began twitching and looked like he was fitting , unfortunatly as you already have guessed he didnt make it , i have taken his body to the vets for a post mortem but does anyone know what could have caused this he seemed fine yesterday , forgot to say he was making occasonal squeaking sounds before the fluid came out of his nose

thanks hailie

Hi Hailie,

I think that what you just described is something that sometimes happens when a rabbit is going to pass.
I am very sorry that you had to go through such a terrible experience.
he most likely had A blockage in his gutbecause this occured suddenly ; maybe bloat

If it is possible that he had not been normal (eating drinking pooping )for awhile it may have been the end result of stasis
I am glad that you are getting a post mortem so you can get some resolution

I am so very sorry that you had to go through such a horrible experience.

Binky free little Beau.:cry1:

thanks for your reply , i cant believe ive lost another bun , tyler only passed last yr and beau was only about 17 months , poor lil guy , i wish i had never put him down on the floor and just held him as when he tried coming to me and his legs went he was still trying to drag himself to his bed using his front paws was horrible to watch , he must have been in such pain , i think i knew deep down the outlook was not good the lump in his stomach was the size of an orange if not bigger and the rest of his tummy was so rigid and his ears ice cold , im having a guess that he had a huge blockage some how which must have erupted , not sure what the frothy fluid could have been though , feel so awful as dont feel as tho i had a chance to get to know beau properly he was such a lovely bunny ,but hant had a chance to spend as much time as i would have liked with him just wish i had got home earlier and then maybe he might have stood a chance and my poor bunny bailey has now lost his second friend , i got beau to bond with him when tyler died and now baileys lost beau as well , well guess ill find out tom what exact causes are , bye bye lil bunny xx

It is very hard to have rabbits. You have to have a special love for them. I think that Beau most likely got sick very quickly; getting a post mortem is a good idea because it helps all of us with our pets.

Bailey will most likely get used to a 2nd friend and then maybe you can save another bunny's life
Beau (same name as my own bunny Beau ) had a short but great life with you which is a lot more than any rabbit gets .
I'm sure there is a rabbit around the corner looking for a friend like Bailey ..

I am truly sorry you had to watch his death ; it was horrible asI could feel it as you described it; but just think that you did the very best that you were able to do and his life was meaningful because you loved him...

If he was loved he will always be alive in all our hearts.

I'm so sorry you lost him and it was so painful to watch. I agree that it could have been stasis or bloat, but another possibility is cancer, which is frequently hidden very well by rabbits. Many people don't know their rabbit has cancer until it's too late. I'm sure the post mortem will help you determine exactly what happened. I have heard that even though it looks like the rabbit is in a lot of distress when they die in the way Beau did, they don't really suffer as the brain has already shut down. I'm so sorry.

i too,.held my baby rex(7 months old),while he lay in my arms dying-gi stasis-12-22-04,,.i have learned alot since and am still learning,,my solice is to keep my facility (rehab)open as long as i can to help-injured ,disguarded,stray/wildlife,.as i read your thread i knew it didnot have a happy ending,grief is also about learning,,prey animals would rather die than exibit any signs of weakness,,thus many do,.i lost my mini-lop last month-died for no apparent reason-not spayed-6yr.6mon.(old age)?-that is not long at all,..i hope you can soon remember-only the wonderful times your bun brought into your life,,.godbless ,james waller

well just got post mortem results back , his stomach had dilated and there was a blockage of food and fur in his lil tummy , he had also gone into shock and had hypothermia , poor beau beau ,vets asked if i wanted to collect body or have them dispose of it , my lil boy is a bit distressed that the bunny is missing as it was his bunny , hes been saying ben bens beau beau gone and has been searching for him all day , so i thought it best not to bring beaus body home in fear of freaking him out as he was in bed when he passes but now bit concerned what the vets to do with the body when they dispose of it

it's too late ,I think now but it's best to bring beau's body home so your other bun will know that he's dead.

Sounds gruesome bit they will wait for their companion
If you cannot get his body backget his blankets or other items from his cage and rub his blanket on a stuffed animal about the same size as beau. sometimes it wll help the remaining bun in his grief.

it did sound lik a blockage :(

Once gain I am so sorry that you went through that.
Maueen

bailey already knew he was dead as beau came up to his cage and touched noses with him before his legs went , bailey saw the whole death happen and thumped the whole way through , beau actually died inches away from him , so i think he was aware of what had happened , poor bailey this is the second time hes lost a friend and actually witnessed the death , he actually seems ok despite everything and hasnt even been looking for beau so i think he knows hes gone

Latest posts

Back