Help asap...found baby rabbits need answers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster and Babs

Reaction score
Hello,

Let me start by sayin im very excited to be partof this site now... Thank-you all for making me feel so welcomed ,I LOVEbunnies....Heres my question my bother was moving my mothers law and heran over a rabbit hole in the yard, 5 baby bunnies jumped out but nomother so he placed them in a box and contunied to mow the law too manya long story short........ I need to know if there were handled by alldiffrent kinds of hands will the mother kill them, Should iput them but in the hole or keep them and nurse them for now...Pleaselet me know Oh If I am able to keep them want should i feed them.

Thank- You

Yvonne :eek:)

Hi Buster&Babs,

Return the rabbits to the nest. Mother rabbits don't stay on the nestas it would be a giveaway to predators. I'm sure mom's nearby and iswaiting for her baby's return. Don't worry about having handled them.The doe will still feed them and take care of them.

Baby rabbits, especially wild ones, are very hard to care for withoutthe mother's aid. In some states in the United States, it's illegal totake in wild animals. It's suggested that the wild animals are reportedto animal rehabilitators for the best care and protection of all.

If I were you, I'd put the babies back and watch for them in the next few weeks to be playing in the yard.

Welcome to the forum.

-Carolyn

Thank u all for your support andreplies................I did return them toowherethey were found........ thank- u all some much

yvonne

You'll see them playing in the yard Buster and Babs.

What a kind and big heart you have to have worried about them and have been willing to adopt them.

They're better off with their mother and back in their own bed.

Don't be a stranger!

:)

-Carolyn

Similar situation. Wondering howtolerant the mother will be. I went over the nest twice withthe lawn mower before I knew they were there. I nearlystepped on them thinking I saw a ground mole and then I finished mowingand raked the yard. This morning the mother was nursingthem. I never actually touched them. There eyes arenot open.

Problem is I have a 3 year old and aone year oldwhom I love far more than rabbits and there is no way I will keep theminside for three weeks, plus we already have a large group coming overSaturday and weather permitting will have them out side. Mybest thought to attempt to preserve the babies is to put the wire topto a indoor rabbit cage over thenest while we are in the backyard. This will keep the kids from hurting them and themother would not be there anyway as it would be too dangerous toher. I will remove it as we leave the yard quietagain.

Keeping in mind that I am not willing to abondon the yard and imprision my children, are there any better ideas?

As long as the mother is able to feed the babiesin the morning, that sounds like a fine idea to me,Rausch173. I'd take the screen off at nighttime since themothers feed their babies usually early in the morning at dawn, and ofcourse, you don't want to block her.

Have a nice time this weekend.

-Carolyn

It is working wonderfully. They survivedthe mower twice, my heal amost squishing them (I thought Isawa ground mole)and now a big thunder storm withhail. I was worried that the grass being so much shorterwould allow the hail to hurt them. They all looked good thismorning. The mother was in the yard. I only coverthem when there is a chance the kids could hurt them. I toldme son there where squirming things with wierd ears, so he no longerwants to look under the ball of fur that was there. Themother's fur coveringcame off in the storm though, I homeshe covers them again.

Latest posts

Back